Benefits and mortgage payments — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Benefits and mortgage payments

Pat11061960 Member Posts: 2 Listener
im in ESA, and in about 2months my friend and her daughter and baby will move in with me, I'm worried about my benefits, and also if the DWP will investigate me, for doing this, and I'm worried about my mortgage payments as it's changing yo a loan in April.  Can anyone advise me 


  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Posts: 8,847 Connected

    Start by querying with your mortgage provider whether they allow subletting and in what forms? If they do not then that is potentially the end of the matter. If you risk not asking then you are potentially storing up a big problem for a later date as you could be in breach of your specific mortgage terms.

    Then you need to look at whether this impacts on your house insurance and whether they need to be notified. Finally you need to get advice on what to charge and the impact on your benefits depending on how that's organised. 

    For anyone on this side to answer they'd need to know whether your on contributory and/or means-tested ESA; what other benefits you're receiving; who else already lives with you and so on. You need professional advice before you do anything on this.

  • Pat11061960
    Pat11061960 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks I've been CAB and my benefitscwont change much, the mortgage people said that the mortgage is in my name only nothing will effect it.   It was the DWP I was worried about if they look at this and say I'm doing it for money, which I'm not, as they could stop my benefitscto investigate me 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.