Part-time — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Part-time

Options
wendy1
wendy1 Community member Posts: 41 Courageous
Hi Everyone, I work full-time but have been off sick, is it law that my Employer can refuse me to work part- time

Comments

• Markinsutton
    Markinsutton Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @wendy1 I have worked full time twice and had to go part time twice because I was finding it too much. I won't say it is against the law for them not to offer but to refuse then maybe. If you have been doing the job and they need someone to do the job full time and you haven't been able to do this then the employer can go down the road of offering you part time work but I don't know if this is a must. What they can't do is to employ someone else part time to do the job you have been doing. I have found most employers have been quite reasonable if someone has been off sick due to a disability allowing that employee to return on a part time status or I think it's called a phase return to work. My experience is to speak to HR directly rather than go through a manager as the last thing HR want is to have to go though the hassle of employing someone else when you can do the job even if it is part time. This does all depend on my first statement if the job requires someone works full time and there is no chance of you ever returning full time then maybe they can refuse. This is only based on my own experiences though. 

• wendy1
    wendy1 Community member Posts: 41 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @Markinsutton, I've done the job full-time for 19yrs but now due to my illness I don't think i am capable of woring full-time and was wondering if I could ask my employer for part-time
  • Markinsutton
    Markinsutton Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @wendy1 I would most certainly ask especially considering the length of your employment it works in their favour to have someone they know. Its good to be open with them about any difficulties you are finding they may be able to come up with other options, for me one of the options I had is they allowed me to work at home some days which I totally didn't think they would allow me to do. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.