Blue Badges and invisible impairment changes — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Blue Badges and invisible impairment changes

Options
Sam_Alumni
Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
edited January 2018 in Transport and travel

People with invisible impairments could soon be entitled to blue badge parking permits under new government plans. The Department for Transport (DfT) said the proposals would make it easier for people with conditions that are less easily seen and understood.

The Department for Transport said that only some councils currently recognised hidden impairments and proposed the new policy was designed to provide "clear and consistent" guidelines.

It is hoped the proposals, being put to an eight-week consultation, would create parity in the treatment of physical and mental health.  If they go ahead, it will be the biggest change to the blue badge scheme since it was introduced in 1970.

I went on BBC Breakfast on Sunday to talk about my own personal experience and needs and to talk about how we need a fairer system that creates accessibility to all disabled people.  

I have an ostomy bag, this means that I have no large intestine or rectum and that my digestive system ends at my small intestine, this is pulled through my abdomen to create a stoma and I wear an ileostomy bag all the time to catch my waste.

I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis in 2004 and then in 2013 I had the first of 6 surgeries that changed my life and created my stoma.  It has been a tough time over the past 5 years, I have struggled to come to terms with my new body and also with the side effects of my illness that include extreme fatigue and joint pain.

I applied for PIP a few years ago and was turned down after my assessment, I hadnt read all the amazing information about appeals and so did not appeal, it was a physically and mentally draining experience and the refusal made me feel really low, I felt as if no one understood that I had these extra needs and didnt care.

I reapplied recently and I now get the daily living portion of PIP and this spurred me on to apply for a blue badge. As I don't get the mobility side, I have to argue my case and be assessed by my council.  

So why do I need a blue badge if I am not a wheelchair user?

Well, as I said, I have severe fatigue and joint pain, this makes life tough. Sometimes it is so tough that I miss appointments, cancel outings and stay home because parking and walking a distance is just too much to deal with.  I also have hernias and these push my stoma out and cause leaks of my bag.  I can generally feel a leak coming on and if I can get to a toilet quickly, I can avert an embarrassing and upsetting leak of poo onto my body and clothes.  If I have to park and walk across a carpark to get to a toilet, it is often too late.

I want to lead an independent and dignified life, I want to be an active member of society and there are a few things that can make my quality of life so much higher, and a blue badge is one of these things.

I work here at Scope and I absolutely love my job, I can only manage this because Scope recognise my skills and talent and are happy to make adjustments to my working day to allow me to work.  For example, I work from home, this is key to me being able to work.  I often nap in my lunch hour and when 5pm rolls round, I head down for a sleep.  My colleagues and manager are understanding of hospital appointments and times of illness.  This means they remove the barriers to me working full time and allow me to do the job I love.  

And this is what we need to be doing in society, removing the barriers to disabled people leading the lives they choose.  

I made a video of my day at the BBC with the BBC Breakfast interview too if you would like to take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6L2HK_PIZ0 

James Taylor, Head of Policy and Public Affairs at disability charity Scope, said:

"This decision is a victory for common sense. Many disabled people rely heavily on their blue badges to live independently.

A lack of accessible transport options often means a disabled person can only get into a town centre by car, or their condition means they have to park a short distance from shops.”

If you want to take part in the consultation, then you can find it here, you can complete online or complete a form and email it or print it out and send by post.  Consultation ends on 18th March.
Scope
Senior online community officer

Comments

• mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Options
    Oh well done Sam, that's fantastic. So important that invisible problems are addressed. I have a massive wheelchair so not that invisible but I have family who had bowel disease and I know they needed to be close and able to park more easily. And really it speaks to asking the government to trust us, just a little more, to know what help we need.

• doodle
    doodle Community member Posts: 10 Pioneering
    Options
    Wonderful news. It will be such an incredible break through if this goes ahead. Well done xx
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Options
    Wonderful news

I have moderate dual sense loss (I hear; but not where sound comes from) and it can make crossing a car park, even with help difficult. But because I'm not registered blind, I can't get a blue badge. But this is the same council who think partially sighted people have chosen not to drive...
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Options
    Where are all these new blue badge parking bays going to be put?
    There are never more than 3. So disabled people who can not walk will be left waiting for a parking bay that has someone parked in it thatCAN walk. Not fair
  • Nystagmite
    Options
    Disability is about far more than walking though. Or does other peoples safety not matter?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Nystagmite
    Options
    Victoriad said:

Mobility or sensory impairment or mental impairment all impact on an individuals ability to make a journey from point A to point B.
    A blue badge does not mean you always have to use a disabled bay so I am disappointed to read of the sour grapes being aired regarding the enlargement of the Blue Badge Scheme!
    I agree. I've come across it on other forums. It seems that because we can walk, we can't possibly need a blue badge. But there's the safety aspect of it too.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Sam_Scope How are you ?  Great to share your story thank you.  This is long over due this new ruling on blue badges.  I am one who has a blue badge and I am very conscious of others who do not qualify.

Also in the past have had disabled friends who should had a blue badge and have assisted them with shopping, appointments.  Who have had problems getting there to these places where inaccessibility is an issue.  They have asked me to help them out.  I would take my car and use my blue badge to make things easier for them.

There is the point with every disability hidden or visual that needs are to be met by having a blue badge.  The big issue is that the amount of disabled spaces in my opinion are too few.  New stores, shops being constructed all over the country of ours yet very limited spaces.

Went out early on Tuesday to my favourite store and still spaces full up.  Yet I had to park in another area a disabled space.  I struggle with walking.  I give every one the nod and polite hello how are you ?  Being courteous.  When they park.  This one day a young lady parked next to me in a empty space.  The disabled bays one was vacant.  I am not one to comment, critical but I found out she did not display a disabled badge.  I did not confront the lady.

Is that another issue that needs to be looked at   I do not understand why any body would consider that choice.  I do think there needs to be some sort of review or education role here.  SCOPE could play a part.

In USA they have rules and laws parking in disabled bays.  What do we have here?

If want my car parking space do wish to have my disability.  I remember the days of educational films on car parking, zebra crossings and the rest.

Only concern I have is the possibility of rising costs for issuing the badge.  I have said before do not mind paying for the Badge but if more people wished to have a badge would costs rise?

Take care Nice to talk to you.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Options
    Thank you spiceman for making the same common sence point that i did.
    There are not enough blue badge parking bays. 
    Where are people who can not walk goung to park if the 3/4 bays have cars parked in them by people who can walk???
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    In my personal opinion, it is about increasing the number of spaces, and properly monitoring the use of the parking bays.  I think there is a much bigger issue with people without a blue badge using them.

The blue badges will never be handed out like lollypops to anyone who wants one, they will be on merit but these new rules will hopefully just make the decision making process more uniform.  Currently, some councils will look at invisible impairments and some don't.

I am not a wheelchair user (though there are times that I use a mobility scooter when shopping), but I do have severe fatigue, joint pain, hernias and a permanent ostomy bag that often leaks.  A blue badge would improve my quality of life massively and there are so many people like me who have extra needs without being a wheelchair user.

I can understand the frustration of being unable to park, but I don't think that limiting the support to people who aren't wheelchair users but have other needs, will improve the lives of wheelchair users.

We should be working for a more accessible and inclusive society for all people.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • CaderMac
    CaderMac Community member Posts: 105 Pioneering
    Options
    "And this is what we need to be doing in society, removing the barriers to disabled people leading the lives they choose." - I couldn't have summed it up any better myself!
    Well done Sam for speaking so openly about your personal experiences, you are a superstar - and I love your Scope community badge!!!!!!! 
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Options
    This touches on a subject that I have posted about in the past.

Some people need the larger bay to get equipment out of the car which is impossible to do in a standard space. Yet I have seen people who possibly don't even qualify for a blue badge using one and parking in a disabled bay and then toddling off into town with no problem at all.

The usual answer I get is that not everyone has a problem all the time. My reply to that is that those people don't need a disabled bay all the time either.

It all comes down to necessity. If there are no disabled bays some people cannot park anywhere else. If you don't need the larger bay, don't use it especially if it's just for convenience. It's called being thoughtful and considerate to others.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Nystagmite
    Options
    Topkitten said:
    This touches on a subject that I have posted about in the past.

Some people need the larger bay to get equipment out of the car which is impossible to do in a standard space. Yet I have seen people who possibly don't even qualify for a blue badge using one and parking in a disabled bay and then toddling off into town with no problem at all.

The usual answer I get is that not everyone has a problem all the time. My reply to that is that those people don't need a disabled bay all the time either.

It all comes down to necessity. If there are no disabled bays some people cannot park anywhere else. If you don't need the larger bay, don't use it especially if it's just for convenience. It's called being thoughtful and considerate to others.

TK
    Epilepsy?

You can't see a lot of health problems.

Some of us don't need the large bay. We just need to be closer to our destination.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Options
    As a general rule and because the idiots who design car parks have no understanding of disability, there are ordinary spaces closer than disabled ones.

Anyway, I have had epileptics in my car and, because I am with them, it doesn't matter where I park unless it is for MY benefit, not theirs. Those who suffer attacks aren't allowed to drive until 2 or 3 years after the attacks stop, so would be with someone unless driving illegally. My last partner was epileptic and drove and she had no problems using ordinary spaces. It comes down to using spaces for convenience rather than necessity.

There is no way to open a door fully, in an ordinary space, to get a wheelchair out. To get a wheelchair or scooter out of the boot in an ordinary space mean standing where the cars are supposed to drive and then getting into or on it. You would only need to be a little unsteady to risk falling in front of a moving vehicle. Necessity rather than convenience.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Nystagmite
    Options
    There is something about double yellow lines, I think. But this causes some serious issues for people like me.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • regent
    regent Community member Posts: 29 Connected
    Options
    Victoriad,,Yes that's partly true, But you can't cause an obstruction or park where its unsafe for all road users and the public.
    Parking and causing  a problem will attract a 'Ticket' ,then you have to sort out with the parking kingdom,Only then, if they consider You abused the privilege of the use of a Blue badge,you will have to pay.The badge is for YOU, not the driver and car owner... 
    The blue badge privileges dont apply in all towns and cities...
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello every body Please can I say the rules can be flexible all depends on your local authority.  I say this yes it says in the handbook can park on double or single yellow lines.  I would advise be careful.  All because there are traffic wardens who will penalise you.

Speaking personally I did only once and got a ticket.  I adhered all the rules.  This I did to the letter.  Away from obstructions and not in the way.

Told when I enquired do not recognise that rule.  Last time parked in a town centre the disabled bays and the loading bays all obscured and not clear at all.  Got off because not clear signage on the road and the arrows on the sign confusing.

Told next time in town this traffic warden.  Who I said can I park here ?  Rarely do not park in town centres unless I am very clear on parking rules.

May I suggest have copy of handbook supplied by council when you apply for blue badge.  I have mine in the car.  This is because parked in a disabled bay in a town centre.  Says on machine all drivers.  Then I noticed no tickets on some of the cars and I saw a traffic warden and asked.

You can park here if you are disabled and have a badge.  Machine does say all drivers.  He did not notice that.  So it worth asking first.  Because I have been caught out before.

Also be aware of pay and display check first will have to pay.  Some places will exempt disabled drivers.  I am only too  cautious.

Another being cautious if travelling to other areas be alert to their rules and regulations.  County to county vary.  

Hope you all OK
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.