Extra costs for my disability — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Extra costs for my disability

Leggy
Leggy Community member Posts: 18 Listener
I have to pay for every thing needed to repairs on my home, grass cutting, plus I’m gluten free eating and they are so expensive, your trying to eat healthy but cost me so much, at times I go without till I get my benifit which January such a long month, can’t wait till next wed. Anyone else have this problem with food, Money’s so tight, I am getting all my entitlement, plus waiting For February to see if you are awarded another year is so stressful, they let you know right at the end to let you know, surely they can let you know at least a month before, so you can calm down.

Comments

• GeoffBosworth195661
    GeoffBosworth195661 Community member Posts: 161 Pioneering
    Leggy @ Welcome firstly Gluten free food is a expensive you have my deep sympathy. I do understand you can get a little help in certain circumstances.This needs checking out with your money situation as they go of individual people's situations. Try not stress I know it is not easy but it does not bring the appointment earlier so try think of today. If nothing as changed in your health situation then you will be fine. If you feel you are not getting enough you might have missed something out , get this reviewed you have rights to have this checked out. Take care Leggy .      
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Leggy,

I'm sorry to hear that things are so tight financially at the moment- I can certainly relate to the expensive free-from food situation! 

You mentioned that you're getting all of your entitlement, but you might want to check whether there are any other benefits you're entitled to by using the benefits calculator (if you haven't already). We also have a great blog post all about money and budgeting by @Lasian_Scope with lots of useful links and information which you may find useful. 
  • Leggy
    Leggy Community member Posts: 18 Listener
    Thank you pippascope, very helpful.x

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.