What changes when my partner who has been on my esa claim starts working — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

What changes when my partner who has been on my esa claim starts working

lorraineSA Member Posts: 1 Listener
I added my partner onto my ESA claim when we moved in together and he was not working at the time however during the last few days he has been offered a job that is totally set up as a subcontractor and means that he is self-employed and I have to tell the DWP and get him removed from my claim and was advised to get a application for claiming PIP already since I am not well enough to get work myself and I am entitled to get this so I have no idea what I have to do to tackle this situation? Should I inform the DWP about my partner going back to work with no idea how much he is going to be earning yet and then apply for PIP after all these things are sorted or do I apply for PIP assessment to be posted then give the details of change in my ESA claim when I have requested the PIP ASSESSMENT and finally would that mean I have to do a fresh claim to accommodate the change in circumstances and have to get a different kind of benefits all together?


  • steve51
    steve51 Member Posts: 7,154 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lorraineSA

    “Good Morning and Welcome”

    I hope that I canhelp/support you with this???

    1. Yes you will need to let “ESA” know about  the change.
    2. Let them also know that you are unsure about the monies at this stage.
    3. You will need to apply for “PIP” 
    This is a separate “Benefit” from “ESA”
    4.You would be best to have help in filling in the form though.
    5. They will let you know  about the form for your ESA.

    Please please let me know if I can help you further?!!!

  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,216 Disability Gamechanger
    Is your ESA contribution, income related or both ?

    It is a lot to take on but you must tell them about your partner and you should also start your PIP claim

    Have a look at the B&W self test


    If possible get f2f advice from CAB or similar


    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • westonwarrior
    westonwarrior Member Posts: 4 Listener
    I would definitey start your pips claim off as soon as possible as they are taking up to 3 months to look at it and then come and areas you. They will back all money from the date you phoned for the form hope that is a small help to you 
    Westonwarrior x 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,798 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lorraineSA, and welcome! I hope you find the above comments useful. Do keep us updated with your claim and we'll assist where we can! 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.