Dating and relationships
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Free dating sites

Sholay09Sholay09 Member Posts: 88 Courageous
Hello I just wanted to ask whether if there were any completely free dating sites as I believe there has got to be free ones out there?
S.York

Replies

• MatildaMatilda Member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Plenty of Fish and OK Cupid are free.
  • BigGeomanserBigGeomanser Member Posts: 3 Listener
    edited April 2018
    I can advise the site on which I met an excellent girl, but after the meeting, alas did not agree with the characters. This is Russian and Ukrainian dating agency “UkReine.com”. 
    And if you are interested in local it is necessary to search on local sites,but there are many fakes

• redhead53redhead53 Member Posts: 35 Connected
    try x hamster not any Russian sites most are full of scammers

• TopkittenTopkitten Member Posts: 1,263 Pioneering
    The number of free sites depends on whether you are male or female. For the ladies there are many sites but for the guys very few. I have tried 3 free sites and the best of them was pretty bad. The worst was really awful seeming to be a contact site for people and couples into some of the more extreme sexual behaviours.

I have also tried 4 paid for sites with very little success, even one that was exclusively aimed at the disabled. I have memory issues at the moment and cannot remember the name but it seemed to have a number of ladies not real and of the others almost every contact I made were looking for someone to look after them. Those that contacted me were looking for someone to look after. Neither of these options was appropriate for me.

Generally being disabled is extremely limiting for finding a real relationship.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90 Listener
    edited August 2018
    try pof  plenty of fish

• SmileygotwellSmileygotwell Member Posts: 30 Courageous
    Free try 'free online dating' @ free dating.co.uk
    An excellent site which is slowly growing into a pretty large site, with brilliant features such as a forum divided into all sorts of sections, which anyone can read and you don't have to pay to contribute to. Best of all though is that once you join you can communicate with anyone for free. 
    I've made a number of good friends through the site as well as a number of enjoyable dates so, all the best if you give it a go.
    freedating.co.uk is the only site that compels people to answer if they are disabled or not.  People should be able to keep their status confidential until they wish to disclose it.
  • SmileygotwellSmileygotwell Member Posts: 30 Courageous
    Have you tried simply not disclosing either and moving on to the next question? I realise once a choice has been made it can't be removed but if you aren't happy about it, try deleting your first profile attempt without saving it and try again, only answering the questions you choose to. I wonder what F.O.D. moderater would suggest? I am sure they would be happy to respect your wishes, @matilda.
    It is not an option to ignore the question.  I did that and got a message that I must select a response. The only options are Yes or No.  If the q. is ignored then it is not possible to register.
  • Government_needs_reformGovernment_needs_reform Member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    Just a word of warning.....

For anyone looking for anykind of relationship or Love on the Internet, remember be mindful of what your doing, and be very careful in giving any personal details.

:)  Good luck.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• debbiedo49debbiedo49 Member Posts: 2,906 Disability Gamechanger
    @Matilda I just tried that site and couldnt understand why there were only two options for that question only. They could easily put other. I tried it for a day and got suspended lol. I kept being badgered by men wanting pics when I choose not to put any up. So I selected random joke face pics and put them up and hey ho gpt suspended. Full of creeps
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    I am a fibro warrior !💜♏️
    @debbiedo49

I wasn't very impressed with that site, either, so I deleted my profile.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19 Connected
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • satire62satire62 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    I find it quite difficult to date or even to find anybody to date... lol I like to be very honest when meeting somebody even if it's online and as soon as I tell them I'm disabled the next topic is, "Can you still have sex?."
  • janekim96Pjanekim96P Member Posts: 44 Courageous
    That's terrible to hear I was thinking of trying an online dating site but won't bother now sorry you were put through that it's awfull that men seem to only want pics and not conversation  😠
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90 Listener
    try passion.com plentyof fish xhamster at least you see who they are

• Rebel70Rebel70 Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi

Any ideas where the best site for a lesbian with disabilities is. I've done plenty of fish and was bombarded with women who just want sex and nothing more. I even had to resort 2 to the police beach's they wanted to me have a threesome with them and their daughters. Sick!!!!

I don't want to be bombarded by men who think they can change me  I'm 48 and my life is limited so don't get out to meet anyone. I've been alone 8 years and it's time for me to meet Miss right lol. 

Thanks all

Tracy
    I used freedating for a while and cannot say it was particularly good though it was about the best of the free sites for men. There are considerably more free sites for women as some of the "pay for" sites allow women to use for free, at least at times. I answered the disability question truthfully and that definitely made things more complicated and I never had a proper date from it but that was mostly because very few women like complete openness and honesty, despite what they say. I did use the forums for quite a while but did find that there was a number of people all clubbing together and excluding others, often ganging up on them and being borderline insulting. Eventually I upset one of such a group, a lady, over the lack of people answering the disability question honestly. That lady stressed over and over it wasn't important until she eventually admitted to being disabled and saying she wasn't. Afterwards I felt sorry for her because she was immediately and very dramatically verbally attacked, especially by the men trying to date her who felt cheated. The lady was soon forced to leave altogether to avoid the abuse and ignorance. However, if she hadn't lied in the first place it wouldn't have happened.

As much as I would like to go on dates at times I distrust dating sites generally as on most of them being disabled makes a person a pariah. I have had some attraction locally, despite my problems, and then I at least know what the person looks like, how they behave and have some idea what they are looking for. I still do not think there is a better way.

The biggest problem with dating sites that I have found is that the majority of men claim to be single (when some aren't) and are really looking for sex and that most women are suspicious of exactly that.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
    @Matilda I tried that site too it was awful so I deleted my proflle after a few days. Then I tried match. Com which was similar and left too. The people I talked to were either fantasists liars or just looking for sex which wasn’t what they’ve put on profile. It’s all very sordid on some sites. I think I will stick to waiting on my knight in shining armour lol. It’s made me think more about people I meet in real life as potential friends or partners rather than online although same things could happen. It’s a mine field lol
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    I have more recently become housebound and do appreciate how difficult that makes things for romantic connections. Fortunately I am old, been through it and am too crippled to get involved again so life, in that respect, is much simpler.

There is nothing inherently wrong with living alone although it can make MH issues worse and people are so brainwashed into thinking they MUST have someone in their life. Online and f2f friends are usually a much better option for most of us because connections also bring complications with them.

Physical connections have alternatives although most people are against such things for one reason or another but although they can still bring complications and risks are, at least, available. Even friendships bring along complications though. I feel really sorry for youngsters who have had no chance to experience such things but I would like to point out that very few relationships now last very long now and sometimes it is easier to miss out on the bad times by missing out the fewer good ones.

It is said that "it is better to have loved and lost than never have loved at all" but I disagree. My life has been filled with many more bad times than good despite being honest, loyal and giving by nature. More often this has just led to myself being taken advantage of. Please remember one very important point though. There is much more physical and emotional abuse in relationships involving the disabled than in relationships involving healthy people. Why this should be I do not know but it is unfortunately true and have met a few disabled ladies who have known nothing but abuse in their relationships. The whole idea of relationships can be a minefield for the disabled.

In a way I am lucky in that I have 3 grown children that I love dearly but who have disappointed me in so many ways. They give me less support or even interest than I gave to my mother when I was already disabled and she healthy. Real love is hard to find and for myself that was only once and that caused me as much grief as all my other relationships put together. My love was not returned and this is far more common than people like to believe.

Now I deliberately restrict my connections to friendships and even that doesn't always work out due to the brainwashing of others and nonacceptance of refusal.

Sometimes I wish I could pass on my experiences in an emotional capacity rather than written. It might just explain things better.

TK
    I have spent most of my life single by choice. It would just be nice to have someone who wants to love me and take card of me for a change lol! Only taken me my whole life to decide this lol! But I will still be okay being single regardless. 
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    I'd prefer to have a partner but only someone compatible.

I've known four people meet long term partners on dating sites.  Maybe its a matter of luck.  One used Plenty More Fish and another answered an ad in the personal column of a local newspaper.
    I've used plenty of fish and it was full of idiots. I had 2 women ask if I wanted sex with them and their under age daughters. Lots of dating sites say they are free  They are to register but then you can't see the messages people send unless you pay. I'm not into the gay scene so it's hard for me to meet that special lady  I am able bodied but have fibromyalgia, osteopenia, cervical spondylitis and vulvadynia  as well as suffer with terrible migraines and vertigo so have many days where I'm not very mobile  I do push myself to do things when I can but pay for it for a few days after  I just want to meet someone special who will treat me with love and respect. I've been single nearly 9 yrs now and am ready to move on. I'm ok single but want that intimacy that I really miss and which your friends can't provide. If anyone knows of a really good dating site please let me know. 
    Quite a few people on dating sites are emotionally disturbed and not ready for a new relationship, for example not 'over' their last relationship.  The technical term is 'time wasters'.
  • smiler43smiler43 Member Posts: 33 Courageous
    I have meet a lovely man I met online on free dating after few bad experiences online . We meet soon 22nd and while yes have to be careful there are positive experiences of this online thing some carers I have are married met online . There are good men out there and women.  Yes most want payment but free dating is free but you have to find the good ones.
  • Becky270Becky270 Member Posts: 5 Connected
    Hi! I met my partner Dan on the app Bumble. It's free, but as with most apps there are options to buy 'add ons' and enhancements. Good Luck! I talk lots about dating and relationships with a disability on my blog: https://headoverwheelsx.com/
    Becky :smile:  
    X
  • Whishour44Whishour44 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    I can totally understand the pain of finding dating sites which are actually 'Free" rather than just saying. Here are some of the dating sites which I have tried myself:
    MySinglefriend.com
    DatingDirect.com
    MuddyMatches.co.uk
    there are some more sites you can check them over here https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/sex/the-20-best-online-dating-websites/

All these are websites, in case you meant for Mobile apps. There are many options for that too:
    Bumble
    Tinder
    Coffee Meets Bagel
    Few more you can check them here https://www.theabsolutedater.com/best-hook-up-apps/
  • martinsmartins Member Posts: 30 Connected
    My 24 year old daughter who has cerebral palsy signed up to Bumble but she got replies from lots of boys/men but all they wanted was to meet her for sex. That's not what she wants she wants a proper relationship where you go out and get to know someone and then fall in love and then take it further. Why do men think that because she has a disability all she wants is sex!!
    I understand that some sites are only for people looking for sex. Have a good look at the site before you decide to use it.  Plenty More Fish is not free but is 'respectable'.  It has a separate Naughty Pond but you don't need to touch that!
  • martinsmartins Member Posts: 30 Connected
    Thank you for you reply
  • TheArrowTheArrow Member Posts: 27 Connected
    Please avoid POF as a dating site because it’s full of fakes. I’m really unlucky in finding someone and it’s likely I never will (seems like I’m cursed).

Good luck to those who do find someone because you’ll have better luck than me haha *sob*
  • gaz1960gaz1960 Member Posts: 185 Pioneering
    Pof. 

Plenty of fakes. 

But all dating sites the same

Free or pay for.!

Same people on all sites,just different profile names! :(

It does seem as if all dating sites are mostly London based? The Midlands,and up North seem to be a desolate,no go areas,"Here be monsters ,dragons and Unicorns and hobgoblins,mandrakes and where all manner of wierd beasties live",rather than where two people meet and live happily after! 
    Anybody else seem to feel like it's that way?
    POF is just for people who want to play online. It's not people who are looking for a proper relationship. I don't like the idea of having to pay to find a partner  It's not easy though. They all say free until you try to chat to people and then they want money for you to send replies. It gets harder to meet anyone when you're older, have a disability and in my case am a lesbian. I'm not in the gay scene as I'm not out and loud. I don't about it from the rooftops anymore than a heterosexual person does. So I thought trying a dating site would be a great idea. How wrong was I. Most lived too far away too  I don't drive so I want someone local. I think dating sites should make it clear that it is not a sex site. I had to ring the old as twice I had women ask me if I would have a threesome with them and their underage daughter. Just wrong. This isn't what a dating site is for. So if anyone has any positive information to help please feel free to let us know  
  • jay_ukjay_uk Member Posts: 2 Listener
    As much as I would like to get to know new people sometimes, I generally have a hard time getting out of my comfort zone. while online dating is a slight upgrade to conventional dating, its still hard for singles with handicaps. There are a few free services , which cater to people with disabilities. Check out https://datinghive.co.uk/disabled-dating/ if you're interested. They compare free dating sites and apps for disabled people in the UK.  
    Site's that say,TRY FOR  FREE! Which means anything else is paid for? Only looked at main page! 

I know sites need to make money, but,surely disabled dating site's,or any site's, could survive with advertising, rather than charging fees to vulnerable people ? 
    Just my opinion!  
    jay_uk said:
    As much as I would like to get to know new people sometimes, I generally have a hard time getting out of my comfort zone. while online dating is a slight upgrade to conventional dating, its still hard for singles with handicaps. There are a few free services , which cater to people with disabilities. Check out https://datinghive.co.uk/disabled-dating/ if you're interested. They compare free dating sites and apps for disabled people in the UK.  
    Thanks for sharing that site! :) 
    Well,a bit of a break since posting! 

Nothing changed! 

Still loooking on dating sites!

Guessing undateable! :/

Tall,handsome, *yeah right*,athletic,lol,:) Hahaha:) 

I was,actually joking! :) Apart from being tall! Lol:) 

Did i mention sense of humor? Lol:) 

If there are any desperate Ladies out there,........lol. :) 
    Please start all messages with," I'm desperate  ......:) Lol. :) 

My apologies, just my stupid sense of humor! :) lol. :) 
    Having a sense of humor, helps? 

Lol,hopefully, at least made a few people smile,or laugh with the past few posts! :) 
    That would be brilliant! :) 
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 4,114

Scope community team

Sorry to hear you haven't been able to make progress @gaz1960, sometimes it can take a bit of time and I'm sure you'll find someone eventually :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Talk to our chatbot and give us feedback on the community.
    Yeah,right,and pigs might fly! 
  • MisscatMisscat Member Posts: 7 Listener
    Sholay09 said:
    Hello I just wanted to ask whether if there were any completely free dating sites as I believe there has got to be free ones out there?
    www.freedating.co.uk absolutelly free)) 
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,437 Disability Gamechanger
    gaz1960 said:
    I think Ross was only trying to be helpful and friendly.
    "Putting a child into care, isn't caring for a child" (T.Rhattigan)
  • lisathomas50lisathomas50 Posts: 4,324 Disability Gamechanger
    I met my partner on a free chat group but that was 20years ago  most people I know have met on Facebook chatted on messenger then met up as Facebook friends are normaly in the same sort of area 

I do laugh at my Facebook I have over 2000 people on it lol 😆
    woodbine said:
    gaz1960 said:
    I think Ross was only trying to be helpful and friendly.
    Yes,i Completely understand that Ross meant well,apologies if my comment was read as anything other than my disbelief in any, actual future prospects! It was just a tongue in cheek, response as to how i view anything changing! Lol.  :) 

Just as an update, "Freedating"site,and "completelyfree",dating sites,both hhhhmmmm.... in my opinion! Been on them for years! The old adage,"you get what you pay for",springs to mind! Lol 

And i dont use Facebook, or messanger,so no chance of using those as an option! Lol :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    edited June 9
    Tagged is the best free dating website as there's open messaging so you can message anyone you want without worrying about having to gain matches first. This is advantageous for men. :)  Also the various local chat rooms on discord that people use to meet people near them is also advantageous for men. :)

In second place there is POF. Just don't get reported as they automatically temporarily ban accounts that get reported. I think I got shadowbanned after an entitled woman sent me a reply to complain that I'd messaged her twice which then I think she reported me. It was unintentional. Afterwards my search feature doesn't work properly any more so I can't browse the pages of search results.

Fetlife is a kink orientated social network like Facebook but for people with fetishes. It attracts polyamorous people, LGBT people, ethnic minorities and people with a high sex drive.I joined the local polyamorous community from there. Feeld is good it claims to be the first dating app that supports couples in an open relationship, but because it asks you to put your kinks in your profile it has sexual undertones.

OK Cupid isn't good any more. They got sold from Humour Rainbow Inc to Match Group (owned by IAC) which also owns Tinder, Badoo, Match.com, Meetme, eHarmony and Twoo. So then OK Cupid got features removed and made much worse to stop it from threatening more profitable alternatives Match Group owns. With OK Cupid under the new system you can technically send messages but it won't reach their inbox until they match with you. Men and women have been complaining that the people they send messages never read their inbox and that messages they have technically received they cannot see.
  • MisscatMisscat Member Posts: 7 Listener
    I met my husband on POF
    Having read the news articles, and heard on the radio about the government teaming up with dating sites, about members can put in their profiles, if they have been vaccinated for covid! 
    Thats not only giving personal,medical information, but also putting extra obstacles in the way of dating and creating a victimisation of who is vaccinated and who is not. 
  • Sandy_123Sandy_123 Member Posts: 1,538 Pioneering
    Just to add to ideas Facebook has recently put a dating page on, I keep getting ads for it, I don't know if 8ts any good as I im not looking to date anyone.
    Looked at reviews of Tagging site, it's not a dating site,its like Facebook, media site,with 83% Male,and 17% Female members, and American site,not UK. Ages range from 18 to 49. 

"Buy" things to send to other people! 

Not free site! 

Looked at sayditto,another rip off! 

Only two totally free uk sites,but,both have same people and same scammers on them for years,just different profile names,lol. But same pics! Lol 

Just a suggestion, mentioned it before,but Scope a great site,woukd be good if could incorporate a dating thread/post. 
    Yes,i know, safety of members is paramount! I totally agree! 

Just seems like a wasted opportunity for people in the same/and ,or,similar,situation to be able to connect and maybe find friendship or more! 
    But guessing if people want to connect, they they can PM each other on here. 

POF? 

Every time i try to register, it wont accept I am a MALE. 

Maybe i should........naah,......whatever! :blush:
  • innocent21innocent21 Posts: 35 Connected
    edited June 10
    gaz1960 said:
    Looked at reviews of Tagging site, it's not a dating site,its like Facebook, media site,with 83% Male,and 17% Female members, . Ages range from 18 to 49.
    It is a dating website. And even if the website claims that it's for making friends instead, the general public will turn it into a dating website anyway.

You shouldn't always trust online reviews. Google has changed their algorithm years ago so that if a website or company gets negative reviews online Google will demote the website in the search results. This has incentivised companies to pay people to write negative reviews of their competitors to financially harm them and benefit themselves financially as they boost up the search results.

Google added this change because one company was abusing their customers in the hope they would write a negative review online out of their own accord, and every time they did his company would appear higher on the search results above his competitors. He got foolish and wrote about his blackhat SEO trick online in a blog article then google started to differentiate between positive and negative customer reviews while also demoting or banning his website and other websites with high amounts of negative reviews.

and American site,not UK
    There's a lot of UK users on Tagged. I've used it and there was for me.

"Buy" things to send to other people! 

Not free site! 

This is false or misleading. Tagged is free I've used it before. On Tagged it's...

• Free to send messages
    • Free to receive messages
    • Free to send friend requests
    • Free to receive friend requests
    • Free to send comments on someone's profile, status and images
    • Free to reply to comments
    • Free to search users by their username
    • Free to browse people and filter the results by a 5, 10 or 20 mile radius, city, age and sex,
    • Free to like or dislike people on the swiping to hopefully get matches
    • Free to see which people you've matched with on the swiping
    • Free to see who your matches are and visit their profile
    Now what isn't free?

• It costs money to see who viewed your profile
    • It costs money to sort people by popularity
    • It costs money to see who liked you on the swiping before you get a chance to like them back
    • It costs money to send people virtual gifts
    • It costs money to buy credits to use in the Pets game
    • It costs money to view read receipts
    The website sounds pretty free or virtually free to me :)

Just a suggestion, mentioned it before,but Scope a great site,woukd be good if could incorporate a dating thread/post. 
    Yes,i know, safety of members is paramount! I totally agree! 

The problem with creating a dating thread or category on this scope forum, is that people will stalk people online before they meet them in person. On dating websites people are reluctant to share personal information about themselves with potential partners and dates, so people would not feel comfortable knowing that a person they're going on a date with has read sensitive information about them on this forum.

Soooooo... Tagging site isn't free!
    And actually aimed at younger people! .
    Free,to me,means,free!  No underhanded options to :upgrade to get to actually message, or chat with other people! 

FREE,means FREE! 

Not Free,if you PAY! 
    Free registration, does not mean FREE! 
    Guessing im  old fashioned!,

What is Free? 
    edited June 10
    It should be common knowledge that paid dating websites charge you to read messages and send messages, like match.com, cupid media, dating factory and eharmony. Tagged doesn't do that. Read my message again.
    Its not "common knowledge ",but its just excepted that dating sites that state "free"  will actually be free! 

The word "free" , is the common denominator! 

It means,. ...

:free:
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,574 Disability Gamechanger
    You shouldn't always trust online reviews. Google has changed their algorithm years ago so that if a website or company gets negative reviews online Google will demote the website in the search results. This has incentivised companies to pay people to write negative reviews of their competitors to financially harm them and benefit themselves financially as they boost up the search results. 

Google added this change because one company was abusing their customers in the hope they would write a negative review online out of their own accord, and every time they did his company would appear higher on the search results above his competitors. He got foolish and wrote about his blackhat SEO trick online in a blog article then google started to differentiate between positive and negative customer reviews while also demoting or banning his website and other websites with high amounts of negative reviews.

And once again opinion posing as fact. Could you highlight for us all where this algorithm was changed in the timeline please? https://www.blueclaw.co.uk/google-algorithm-update-timeline/. I suspect what you’re referring to is this from a decade ago https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/217750. However, as can be seen this has long since been rendered way more sophisticated and indeed a mere year later we had the level of sophistication described by https://discover.hubpages.com/technology/A-Guide-to-Google-Best-Practices, More recently we find a very different picture indeed. See https://searchengineland.com/8-types-negative-reviews-google-will-remove-294804.

Do you still wish to potentially libel Google publicly by asserting they demote websites in their search results simply on the back of poor reviews? It doesn’t appear to be accurate. 
  • chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 9,126 Disability Gamechanger
    Hmmm.... would also be interested to see if @innocent21 yet again will back up their opinions with factual evidence.
    edited June 10
    potentially libel
    LOL

I can't be given a cease and desist or be sued for defamation for anything I've said on this thread about google, because I know how the british defamation laws work. ;)

You can't defame a black box algorithm. I could say that adverts on facebook shows children alcohol and vaping adverts and even if it wasn't true, it wouldn't legally be classed as defamation under british law as I could just say it happened algorithmically without human intervention or manual placement. Also under british law, for something to be legally classed as defamation, not only does the speaker have to knowingly or have reasonable suspicion that the statement is false, there ALSO has to be an expectation of damaged reputation from the statement. Google's reputation is not going to be damaged from my statement.

All the 4 sources you mentioned speak about teaching webmasters how to commit whitehat SEO that google specifically teaches webmasters to do on its various blogs and developer documentation. What I was talking about was blackhat SEO which is deceptive methods of cheating yourself to the first page on google search results which would break google webmaster guidelines and run the risk of getting your website banned (or demoted) from google search if you're caught. But just because google prohibits blackhat SEO doesn't stop people from doing it.

Search quality lead Matt Cutts once said that Google search uses 500 factors to decide how to rank websites and that they don't disclose most of them. You are making the assumption that google would be honest and upfront about each of the (500) factors used for ranking search results. One article you mentioned refers to negative reviews that google deleted. What about the fake negative reviews that slips through the net that google doesn't delete?

However if you insist I can find a source.

My guess would be either personal abuse or a drift onto another thread to offer the benefit of further opinion dressed as fact. This cannot continue. 

“I could post other links” is an approach guaranteed ultimately to attract ridicule. If you have links which support a case for your opinion being factual then simply do so. 
    Oh gosh there is always some sort of disagreement going on I thought it was meant to be a dating online question 

It makes people not want to be on here and causes people stress  and anxiety I thought it was suposed to be a friendly supportive community  ???
    edited June 11
    Does that mean we should be friendly and supportive of repeated breaches of the terms we are allowed to be here then? Presumably if that’s okay then we’ll be good with all manner of other breaches? 

Personally I always try to focus on the cause of an issue rather than the symptoms. 
    edited June 11
    1) You didn’t notice the deadpan humour in my previous message
    2) I didn’t defame or libel  anyone
    3) Accusing someone of defamation or libel is a SERIOUS allegation. I am
    entitled to defend myself against accusations of this.
    4 I provided a source to backup my claim 
    5) I can provide additional sources if you want.
    6) I did not make the assertion about google search out of thin air.
    7) Ad absurdium is a logical
    fallacy which serves as a distraction to derail the topic and avoid dealing with opposing arguments . To make arguments which are absurd, exaggerate and conflate 2 unrelated things to ask if we can all break the forum rules because you think libel or defamation is allowed to tolerated on this forum, is a flawed and absurd argument, most likely dishonest, because it can be reasonably proven that I did not intentionally or inadvertently commit libel or slander - even after I provided a source. You have misrepresented rationality and civil order to make such an argument.
    2 again) I didn’t defame or libel anyone 
    1 - Nobody did.
    2 - Nobody said you did. Perhaps read what’s on the page rather than what you think is on the page. A question was posted rather than an assertion. I posted the links to refute your assertion. Feel free to refute them with evidence of equal weight.
    3 - As above. 
    4 - Nobody is interested in what you can do. Just do it. 
    5 - As above. 
    6 - Again, nobody says you did. Your assertion on what Google currently do however is inaccurate. 
    7 - Brilliant distraction technique in terms of you still failing to back up anything you assert with the evidence. A straw man argument to boot too. Excellent. Claim that someone said something they didn’t then use that to defeat an argument they didn’t actually make. Nobody claimed there had been a breach through libel. The claim was clearly that the breach is opinion dressed as fact.

You derailed this topic with assertions you cannot back up despite being asked. Posting a five year old link when links have already been posted which update that hasn’t done you any favours.
    Oh, the weather outside is frightful
    But the fire is so delightful
    And since we've no place to go
    Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow
    Man it doesn't show signs of stoppin'
    And I brought me some corn for poppin'
    The lights are turned way down low
    Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow
    When we finally kiss good-night
    How I'll hate going out in the storm
    But if you really hold me tight
    All the way home I'll be warm
    And the fire is slowly dying
    And, my dear, we're still good-bye-ing
    But as long as you'd love me so
    Let it snow, let it snow, and snow
    When we finally ....

Cold? 

Hey,everyone has an opinion! 

Nobody is infallible! 

But,maybe no right or wrong? 

Maybe agree to disagree? Talking is easy! 

But still manage to help and support each other! 

Just my opinion! 

edited June 12
    I struggle to express how bored I am with people who suggest that there is no right or wrong. If you don’t challenge lies you get liars. If you don’t stand for anything then you’ll fall for everything. People want to believe that they have a right to an opinion. No such thing. You have no rights when it comes to opinions. You do however perhaps have a responsibility to the truth. 
    Mike the more it's on the forum telling other people off shouldn't that be down to scope to do that sometimes at a loss when on here 

As everyone says we can have opinions but can't put opinions as fact which is right 

But if there are all these breaches why aren't scope moderators intervening in the breaches 

This is why I said it doesn't always feel like a welcoming  forum  if people keep disagreeing why can't we just report what we think is wrong and move on instead of carrying it on so everything escalates 
    I agree Lisa. It is down to the moderators. There are two flaws with that. Firstly moderators can’t have eyes everywhere. They use a reporting system to alert them to stuff they may not otherwise see. You can’t assume however that just because people are disagreeing on public that the issue hasn’t been reported anyway. Some people are quite performative about reporting. They seem incapable of reporting without also announcing loudly that they have. It’s a kind of passive aggressive, and sometimes overt, threat. As a point of principle I have made multiple reports over the years. I quickly moved to a position where I will almost always never say that in public. 

Secondly, I have made my points re: moderation here ad nauseum. The moderation on here starts from the deluded idea that everybody has the right to be heard or to have an opinion and therefore the ultimate aim is to keep people in the forum even when they have said something completely unsupported by fact or illegal or whatever. Thus for example other forums where people post unsubstantiated vaccine info people get removed from the forum or blocked from the thread. Here, a disclaimer is added. Here, when people indulge in personal abuse it is removed from a post with an accompanying generalised warning to others so that the poster is empowered to continue testing the boundaries of what is or is not acceptable and other listers are unclear as to whether they did anything wrong. 

I’m afraid I can’t possibly agree with you about it not feeling like a welcoming forum if people disagree. What on earth would be the point of a discussion forum if people didn’t have different opinions? If you can’t cope with different opinions then a forum is probably not the best place to be in the first place. Now how people express those opinions is a different thing but I think there are two further issues there.

Firstly, Scope have become obsessed with tone over content. You’ll get a warning far  quicker for sharp tone than you ever will for positing opinion as fact and yet the thing they’re most proactive on is the weakest element of their terns and conditions.

Secondly, things escalate precisely because moderators don’t step in and remove people from threads. 

In this instance this escalated because there has been no obvious step in from the moderators. That does not mean nothing has happened. It also escalated because some people think that challenging people who express opinion as fact is the problem rather than the person who do that. As I says earlier, I’d rather focus on the cause rather than the symptoms.
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Posts: 3,990

Scope community team

Hi everyone,

It’s correct that backing up opinions with reliable sources is important to the smooth running of our community. Members often turn to us for help in crises and to further disadvantage them (and those reading) with improper information would be doubly harmful. With that said, please evaluate your sources before sharing to check they are recent, not biased and backed by reputable experts/professionals in that field. Here’s a link to our house rules that emphasise this, saying:
    ‘Share reputable sources of information’.

Although this is something we ask for, we also understand that not everyone is familiar or confident with finding credible sources; indeed, I’ll be honest, I wasn’t myself until I went to university. Bearing this in mind, instances will arise where opinions are shared with the best of intentions but backed by no references or untrustworthy ones at that. When this occurs, please refrain from replying in frustration and inform the community team via the report function so we can intervene appropriately. This does not mean that repeated breaches of the house rules will be tolerated but is a reminder of the diverse community we have and the need to not ‘shoot from the hip’ and potentially derail threads further.

As has been said already, us moderators are human and with competing workload priorities, can miss situations requiring our attention. Therefore, your reports are vital to us keeping the community a safe, friendly space and we thank each of you who takes the time to send them in.

Returning to the OP: does anyone else have suggestions for free dating sites? I met my husband in the good old days of AOL chat – does anyone remember that? Ha!

Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
    I was on something similar to AOL  there were three or four chat rooms one for girls one for boys one for mixed and one for just friends that was free but that was years ago lol 😆
     Cher_scope ,as stated ,mods arec only Human, and cant be everywhere at once,the mods have a busy time,including their own time away from the site,which,I'm sure,whatever time they can give to the site, is much appreciated! It must be a huge task! 

So,back on track? 

Original poster, asked about "completely free" dating sites. 

A lot of sites say free,but its "free" to set up an account, but have to pay to actually send messages, or contact anyone! 

As for good or bad sites! 

That depends upon an individual person's point of view,or "opinion"! 

Everyone is entitled to an opinion! 

It might not be the same opinion as another person, but its still a valid opinion, an opinion,based on each individual  person's opinion, and experience of any idea ,or experience, is a "personal " opinion,which,every person,in a democratic society is entitled too,even on a forum,based of personal choice, and experiences! 

"Personally", it seems all dating sites are ****,because i have never met anyone, but,other people have,so different "personal" opinions,because, other people have! 

But its just my personal "opinion",which,i am entitled too,just as anyone else is! 

Actually had an update email today,from a "free" site! 

Hhhmmmm....

So,.......baby boomers, but looking for guys 30 plus! Same people,same photos, but different profile! :) 

Get a life! Lol :) 

Oops,deepest apologies if i come across as ,"boring" ! ;) 
    Greatest hits radio ,dating,"sayditto". 

Not "free" 

Ads cookies! To "partners,other advertising sites"! Omg! Might as well just give your driving license of passport, oops,that's the latest stuff to give the  NHS app! Lol :wink:

Free to "browse" once you sacrifice your data,and sacrifice everything! 

Hhhhmmmm,....might be safer,and easier to just sit on a park bench, with a big notice,saying "free to a good home,house trained",well.......almost..! Lol :) 
Sign in or join us to comment.