Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Employment and ESA claim

lottie21lottie21 Member Posts: 2 Listener
HI, MY SON HAS A LONG TERM DISABILITY, RECIEVING DISABILITY LIVING ALLOWANCE HIGH RATE FOR CARE AND MOBILITY PLUS ESA BENEFIT. my son is only 28 and hasnt worked for over 8 years..could anybody tell me , if my son could do a few hours payed work with an employer ( if he can find one) would this have any inpact on his benefits ?

Replies

• Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lottie21, and welcome to the community!

Turn2Us have some great information on permitted work and ESA on their website that would definitely be worth taking a look at on behalf of your son. Have a read and do come back to us with any questions you may have!
  • lottie21lottie21 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for that information about esa , will check that out ... can you also tell me about working & receiving disability living allowance ? Xx
  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lottie21,

This information is from Disability Rights UK:

Disability living allowance (DLA), personal independence payment (PIP) and attendance allowance are payable whether or not you are working. They are not means tested, so earnings do not affect the amount of your benefit.
    Starting a job may suggest that your care or mobility needs have changed, so your benefit entitlement could be reconsidered. It is possible that your care needs may actually increase if you move into work. The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) views starting or leaving work as a potential ‘change of circumstances’ for DLA and PIP.
Sign in or join us to comment.