Employment and ESA claim — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Employment and ESA claim

lottie21 Member Posts: 2 Listener
HI, MY SON HAS A LONG TERM DISABILITY, RECIEVING DISABILITY LIVING ALLOWANCE HIGH RATE FOR CARE AND MOBILITY PLUS ESA BENEFIT. my son is only 28 and hasnt worked for over 8 years..could anybody tell me , if my son could do a few hours payed work with an employer ( if he can find one) would this have any inpact on his benefits ?


  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,798 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lottie21, and welcome to the community!

    Turn2Us have some great information on permitted work and ESA on their website that would definitely be worth taking a look at on behalf of your son. Have a read and do come back to us with any questions you may have!
  • lottie21
    lottie21 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for that information about esa , will check that out ... can you also tell me about working & receiving disability living allowance ? Xx
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,798 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lottie21,

    This information is from Disability Rights UK:

    Disability living allowance (DLA), personal independence payment (PIP) and attendance allowance are payable whether or not you are working. They are not means tested, so earnings do not affect the amount of your benefit.
    Starting a job may suggest that your care or mobility needs have changed, so your benefit entitlement could be reconsidered. It is possible that your care needs may actually increase if you move into work. The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) views starting or leaving work as a potential ‘change of circumstances’ for DLA and PIP.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.