Job centre interview while being a full time carer — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Job centre interview while being a full time carer

Options
sam89
sam89 Community member Posts: 2 Listener

Hello, please help!

I wanted to ask a question about carers allowance. I am 58 years old and care for my disabled daughter and receive the highest PIP level as she is physically and mentally very dependant, she is 18 and in full time education. Recently the job centre called me for an interview and the lady said I can start looking for work while my daughter is at school. I explained to her how strenuous it was for me to look after my daughter especially during the nights as she wakes up 5-6 times and needs changing nappies as well, so I cannot possibly work during the time she is at school. She pushed me and said that I could still find work and do deliveries etc and has called me after 3 months. This is really worrying me as I am in no position to work because I already care for my daughter, I also explained to her how my husband is also disabled and needs looking after during the day I cannot take on another job, but she said I could. please advise me as to what I can do in this matter? Can they force me to work? How long will they call me for these interviews? Regards, Sarah.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The adviser that you seen is completely wrong. They can't force you into work whilst you're claim Carers Allowance. You will still need to attend these appointments otherwise you could be sanctioned but they can't force you wo work. If it was me then i'd ring DWP and ask to speak to the manager and tell them what's happened and give the name of the person you spoke to that day. This is ridiculous nonsense! I hope you get it sorted. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sam89
    sam89 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    The adviser that you seen is completely wrong. They can't force you into work whilst you're claim Carers Allowance. You will still need to attend these appointments otherwise you could be sanctioned but they can't force you wo work. If it was me then i'd ring DWP and ask to speak to the manager and tell them what's happened and give the name of the person you spoke to that day. This is ridiculous nonsense! I hope you get it sorted. Good luck.
    Thank you for your reply! 

My husband is also mentally ill and doesn't let agent the house without me me, she suggested I do deliveries as a job and take my husband with me!! While I drive?? He hasn't back pain and all sorts - why would she say something like that? 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community, @sam89! I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry to hear about your experiences, it certainly sounds like you have your hands full with caring and that the last thing you need is to be forced into work. Do keep us updated and let us know if you have any further issues.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.