Disabled person moving from England to Wales — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Disabled person moving from England to Wales

dawn_adams29 Member Posts: 5 Listener

Good Morning.

A friend of mine was involved in a motorbike accident years ago where he broke his back, neck and both thumbs.  Fortunately he is not wheelchair bound but he is disabled as he now struggles walking unaided and has several painful complaints and some short term memory loss.  As such in his current town in England he is on DLA and high level of PIP, he has a ground floor flat and carers that come in 3 days a week to help with domestic chores, a disability car and attends Headway once a week.

He is considering moving back to Wales from England to be nearer family and friends, but, understandably, is concerned about the transfer of his benefits, what he would be entitled to in Wales and housing. Please

could you advise?



Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.