Moving on to ESA from statutory sick pay — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Moving on to ESA from statutory sick pay

Teddylo Member Posts: 23 Listener
Hi guys, my statutory sick pay comes to an end at the end of this month & my application has been processed to start on ESA from then. Will my employer end my employment contract automatically & pay my final salary or do I need to do anything ? 


  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Your employer won’t end your contract unless it’s been agreed you’re leaving!!!
  • Teddylo
    Teddylo Member Posts: 23 Listener
    Thank you for.replying Mike, i had a a meeting with my employer last December as to ending my contract through the capability route as I'm no longer able to do the job. But since then all has gone silent apart from receiving SSP1 letter to say my Ssp is ending on 25/2. I receive standard rate PIP & I've had my letter from ESA which will start from 26/2. Will handing my notice in affect or stop the ESA? Many thanks
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,420 Disability Gamechanger

    I would query whether you need to hand your notice in at all . Have you explored reasonable adjustments under the Equality Act 2010 with your employer?

    Anyway, no, leaving your employment would not ordinarily impact on ESA unless the timing would impact whether you would get contributory ESA.

  • Teddylo
    Teddylo Member Posts: 23 Listener
    Yes I explored the reasonable adjustments which they are not able to do. I was a carer in a nursing home & they had the bare minimum of staff , so could not offer me anything. my doctor & consultant both strongly advised a career change so I am looking for something else. Thank you for your help, very much appreciated.
  • Thepirate
    Thepirate Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi Tedylo like you I have just gone from SSP onto ESA.  Have sent back the medical assessment form.Now waiting to see what happens.  Must admit my employer has been very supportive so far.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.

Online employment support

Support to Work is an online and telephone support programme for disabled people who are looking for work.