PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

PIP

Sal1975Sal1975 Member Posts: 25 Listener
edited February 2018 in PIP, DLA and AA
Hello I had a stroke on 25 nov and I applied for pip on 11 Dec 17 and I just had my home assessment on 30 Jan how long will it be b4 I get a desion and with my stroke all my left side of my body is bad can't walk av to use a wheelchair at the moment plus I have bad depression and a fractured bck 

Replies

• Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Sal1975, and welcome to the community!

So sorry to hear about your current situation, please know that you're always welcome to come and chat on the community when you're feeling low. You may be particularly interested in our neurological conditions discussions. 

PIP response times vary according to location so it's very difficult to tell when you will hear back, but it does seem to be rather long wait times at the moment- some of our community members may be able to share their own experiences. Do keep us updated, and all the best for your outcome!
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Sal and welcome

You should be aware that a condition needs to have been in place for three months and likely to continue for at least a further nine months for a PIP award to be made

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Sal1975Sal1975 Member Posts: 25 Listener
    Don't understand that and my first stroke was in 2010 can u explain title pls 
  • MatildaMatilda Member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    @Sal1975

Decision letters take 2+ weeks.  Have you asked DWP for a copy of the assessor's report?  This will give you a good idea of what the decision will be.
    Y do u have to ask for assessors report and are they the ones who make the desion 
  • kevin888kevin888 Member Posts: 53 Courageous
    Phone and ask for copy of report ASAP, they have to send if requested, so you can be prepared when the decision letter arrives as you only have a month if you have to contest the decision. 
  • kevin888kevin888 Member Posts: 53 Courageous
    The DM at DWP makes the final decision but they go on the HP report as the DM has NO medical qualifications
    So wen do I phone them as had my home visit on 30 Jan 18 or is it to early yet 
    And what number do I ring 
  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Sal1975, I wouldn't expect them to have processed your decision but there's no harm in getting in touch as far as I can see. Here is how to contact the PIP helpline.
    Thanx will leave it for another week yet 
    The assessor's report should be available soon, almost certainly before the DWP decision letter.  Phone DWP tomorrow for assessor's report as the sooner you phone the sooner you'll get it.
    I don't no the number for dwp to be honest 
    PippaScope has posted a link to the PIP Helpline above.

You could try to find face2face advice locally. Scope Helpline might know of local f2f help.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215 Listener
    edited February 2018
    @Sal1975 Hi my mums assessment was the 14th of January and she received her decision this morning 
    How long had she waited then as mine is from 11 Dec n my home visit was 30 Jan 
    Sorry it was 15th it took 3 weeks 
    Ok thanx so that's Wat I was gonna wait another week did yr mum win her pip then x
    edited February 2018
    Yes she got awarded both components,You should give it 2 more weeks at most 
    How did you find your assessor with you .? Do you think it went ok?
    She was really nice i had a home visit as can't walk at this moment with just havin a stroke she asked Wat aids I had at home n about my cooking and other things as can't  do the stairs yet but I didn't do ecircise n stuff but told I don't trust myself with my legs at the moment as last time I stud I collapsed and she said it was fine I didn't have to do so she seem ok with it all still feel like am gonna fail it so just a waitin game now as feel like av been waitin ages now 
    Acctually id like to ask somebody on here that it said DWP made their decision used on two medical reports and the claim form but no mention of the assessors report ...just wondering if they don't mention that they made the desion using the assessors report .
    And told her my fella sorts all the money situations as my memory as gone really bad and my depression as gone worse plus I have a a fractured nck aswell x
    U can phone them to ask to send it but u shud get it but can take up to ten days for them to send it 
    Sorry to hear about your poor health ..it's only been one week since you had yours tho bit too early yet 
    Yes that's what the assessor has said in her report it's a good idea to get it though because if you aren't satisfied with the decision you can tell them why and point out where your assessor has gone wrong 
    Yeah I no gonna give it till at least 20 Feb b4 I phone or our but thanx 
    Ok Good Luck 
  • labrador68labrador68 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Just had my PIP form for fibromyalgia. Doctor has suppprted my choice to do this as i told i had bladder cancer October and fibromyalgia confirmed the week after. I cant even think about going bk to work as i know i wont cope for all sorts of reasons.
    My problem with visits is that cancer cant be seen and anyone with fibromyalgia knows most days are horrific but the odd day can appear quite normal. My luck would be the 'visit' would be on a better day. 
    Pip as just phoned me to ask when I got out  hospital and then said will be on touch soon can they just ring u out of the blue like that x
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,535 Disability Gamechanger
    Think we'd best be clear here. The fact you've had a stroke is not relevant. The consequences of the stroke are all that matters but if you try to get PIP now you will need to make it clear that you're claiming on the basis of the consequences of your original stroke as any care or mobility needs would need to have been in place for at least 3 months but, more importantly, they need to be likely to last a period into the future also. In the immediate aftermath of a stroke it's most unlikely you or any medical professional will be able to say where your rehab, mobility and daily living needs will be in 3 months, 6 months or even a year and it will be even harder (but not impossible) to separate out the consequences of the first stroke from those of the second). 

Fundamentally you have been badly advised to claim PIP when you did. It should either have been when the long-term consequences of the first stroke were clear or when the long-term consequences of the second are equally clear. Claiming immediately after the onset is not a good idea. 
    My first stroke didn't no I had but my second one was worse as I can't walk and my memory as gone can't sleep but tied all the time so don't understand I got told to claim pip as I work n o did 12 hours a day so don't Wat u mean by all this plus i have bad depression n fractures spine aswell 
    You need face to face advice to unpick which conditions started when and what daily living and mobility needs arose when. The only thing which is currently certain is that your claim cannot succeed based solely on your second stroke.
    How as my first stroke didn't even no I had till I was in hospital and they said it was my second one Wat was I wasn't aware of the first stroke and I was fine after the first one no effort or nothin it was only wen I had my second one were as was in hospital for a month and still learning how to walk as now av to work with a zimmer frame can't even go on the stairs as need to learn with physio as can't even cook or out have to use a commode at the moment 

Aha. Now that's clearer. Thank you.

You cannot currently get PIP based on your 1st or 2nd stroke because

1) You claimed barely 3 weeks after the 2nd stroke and you must have had your daily living and mobility needs for at least 3 months before the date of claim.

2) Those needs must be likely to persist for at least 9 months after the date of claim. Very hard to say that given the nature of stroke rehab and you've already described how you're currently relearning how to walk. So, your mobility needs now, for example, may not be your mobility needs in 3 months let alone 9.

It may be that your depression and back issues would lead to you qualifying depending on the problems they create and how long you've had them but the stroke currently needs to largely be left out of account.

I have lived with depression and bck problems at least for 10 yrs now n plus my first stroke was in 2010 x
    Plus have lived with high blood pressure for yrs now aswell and u say I won't get pip how sure are u 

I'm not saying you won't get PIP. I am saying that you won't get PIP based on your strokes. Your depression and spine.? Hard to tell on the basis of the info. posted. and I wouldn't expect you to post so much info. that I could tell.

On the 1st stroke you say there were no symptoms so, definitely no PIP on the back of that if that was the case. On the 2nd one you don't qualify on the backwards/forwards tests. That's fairly routine with strokes.

Well I won my pip now just confused as  to wen I will get it 
Sign in or join us to comment.