Are there any mental health benefits? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are there any mental health benefits?

Options
Holyguidence
Holyguidence Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Dear Debbie, 

I have several serious long term health conditions and I get ESA, PIP but since past year I am under the mental health and had treatment. Could you please advice if I am eligible for a mental health benefits if they exist! I am suffering with depression and anxiety since long time. I look forward to your reply. 

Kind regards

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Holyguidence - MIke's advice is spot on. You are claiming the 2 benefits which would apply if you are unable to work, or have extra needs at home or out and about, because of your mental health. 

Having treatment for mental health doesn't necessarily make any difference to your entitlement. However, if you think you've got worse, you could consider whether:

you should be in the support group for ESA if you're not already 

you should be getting a higher rate of PIP.

Both benefits are points-based. Unfortunately if you ask the DWP for a change like this, you are likely to be called for a new medical assessment, unless you have very good medical evidence (eg from a consultant) - and even then, you might still have to be assessed. 

If you're struggling financially, you could use the benefits calculator to check you are not missing out on anything else (for example, council tax support). 

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.