ESA were dead wrong — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA were dead wrong

mello
mello Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi I'm writing on this to ask a little advice ,I've read through some of the other threads and I've seen how much esa has fucked about with people's lives. My dad was on ESA for a couple years, he went for the assessment in August ish and they told him "he wasn't sick enough to be on ESA" He didn't appeal, as it was a struggle for him to get about, he had bad breathing issues, and a bad back, and he didn't know you could appeal and apply for JSA, he was so worried that he would be left with no money. I should probably point out he was only 42 At the beginning of this year, just after new year, I found him dead in his flat. I've recently been informed that he died due to his breathing issues, specifically COPD which he never knew he had. (I had to Google it, as it's not very well heard of to some people) Knowing what like he was in stubbornness and such it was partially his own fault as he didn't bug the doctors about his breathing difficulties enough. But on the other hand ESA made a decision, and like with alot of you, was wrong. If they done that to him, how many other people have they done it to that are seriously ill and haven't got to the issue underhand. I want to make a complaint (once I have spoken to the rest of the family, and we bury him, it's taken this long for the results to come back of the autopsy) not because I want anything, but I want ESA to reconsider their screening process. I realise it would take longer but I would rather they done in depth research rather than risk someone else's life. By in depth I mean, if they are saying they are on ESA for a specific reason, double check with doctors (yes I know they do this) but if the doctors don't have much on this, give the person a time limit to go to the doctors, get tests done for that specific problem, come back and hand in evidence. If they don't do this within the time scale (e.g. a couple months) stop their ESA. If they can provide evidence from the doctor that they are waiting to be tested but it is the hospital/nhs holding them up, let them have extended time for every time they provide evidence until they get tested. Not only could this weed out the fakers from the people who genuinely need ESA, it could save lives. It gives stubborn people like my dad who don't want to hassle anyone incentive to go get tests done, and to keep badgering doctors even after they said they won't test for that. I realise I'm probably going to get a few folk telling me if my dad was that stubborn then it's all on him for not complaining more, what i want you to realise is there are so many people out there that wont shake the boat because they dont want to cause hassle for others. In this case he didnt want to hassle the people at ESA or at the doctors. So to get to my point after that massive ramble/rant, what's the best way to start this, I don't want to cause a scene and go straight to legal, the girls were just doing their job, I'd rather do this civally, and I understand I won't be able to change the whole screening process but even if they adapt it a bit, it could help some people. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Sincerely Mello

Comments

• mello
    I understand where your coming from but if they can't find what's wrong with you yet, then you wouldn't have any clinical evidence. It seems a bit ridiculous that things like that are what decide your well enough for work.

I'm not saying mandate it, if a person doesn't have the clinical evidence and is most likely to get kicked off of esa then I'm saying give them an option to go get tests done in a time period. If the person chooses not to then so be it, they can appeal or sign on to JSA, but it gives people who would want that time to try to get evidence just that, time. 

When they sign you up to go to the assessment they tell you to bring evidence but they aren't very clear. My dad though his evidence was the years upon years of sick lines from the doctor and his medications. 

But again I understand where your coming from aswell, 

Also my above points in the original posts are not well thought out things I want to change, these are last minute thoughts, scatterbrained ideas with no backbone 

But I do want to complain, because their decision said he was fit for work, he very obviously was not (they made him take the breathing test they use to check asthmatics and he could barely move the gauge, and they made him stand and sit to the point where he was shaking in pain at the assessment) maybe if they had asked the gp indepth questions it might help 
     Maybe my complaint as small as it is will start something, maybe it wont, but I won't know until I try 

Completely agree on the government part though.

Thank you 
  • mello
    Thanks tomm that's helped alot, 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.