Appeal wait — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Appeal wait

ruby12
ruby12 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
Hi, does anyone have any experience on how long it takes for an appeal to make a decision.....I've been waiting since October, I rang and they have my information I sent from my consultant etc but still no decision made.

look forward to hearing from anyone in a similar experience.
many thanks

shell

Comments

• Naomi_Jane92
    Naomi_Jane92 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    My appeal took roughly 6 weeks , hope this helps
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ruby12, sorry to hear that you're still waiting on your decision.

Unfortunately the wait times seem to be really variable between locations and it can be difficult to predict when you might hear back: for some it takes around 5-8 weeks, but many of our members have reported waiting much longer. Our best advice would be to continue contacting the DWP and following it up. Really hope you hear back soon with the outcome you're hoping for!
  • ruby12
    It's actually the mandatory reconsideration ( sorry appeal was wrong wording) they say it's being looked at but has been over 3 months now. Thanks for all your replies
  • Naomi_Jane92
    Yes my mandatory took 6 weeks 
  • Naomi_Jane92
    Would deffo follow that up , they do say it can take up to 12 tho 
  • ruby12
    Hi, quick update, had the decision through the post today..... It's a no. Feel quite down about it tbh. Is it worth doing an appeal ? I don't think I could face another interview to be turned down again. I have Crohn's disease that's why I have applied for pip.

experience of an appeal would be gratefully excepted. Also can you appeal by paper? 

Thanks x

• ataloss2018
    ataloss2018 Community member Posts: 48 Courageous
    Appeal by paper is what you do, we got the help of a local disability charity who were very helpful, there are other organisations who can assist including CAB.

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Disability Rights UK site has a good guide to PIP appeals.
  • ruby12
    Thanks all for your info x
  • ruby12
    Hi I’ve put my appeal in and received a letter from them saying that they have approached the dwp for their input on my letter of appeal.... why does this happen as I have written confirmation of what the dwp think about my application and that’s why I have gone to appeal? Seems like forever going backwards with this issue ☹️
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi ruby

The tribunal ask DWP for their  case and evidence. You will receive a copy of everything used to make their decision. This is known as the bundle.
    When you receive it you should check to make sure all your evidence is included.
    You should then use this to make your own submission
    There is lots of info on here about appeals so please have a read, then come back with any questions

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • ruby12
    Ahh right ok. I thought the form and reasons I filled out was the actual appeal
  • ruby12
    Hi I have received my bundle with the reply from the dwp...... some interesting comments!! One actually said that during the hour interview I didn’t need a toilet break although I state in my appeal I go to the toilet frequently with crohns & side effects from bowel surgery. How rude is that!?! 
  • Rozann
    Rozann Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    I have waited since last August for my appeal. Last time I phoned I was told it'd be 7-8 weeks which means I should hear now to have it in 2 weeks.
  • Matilda
    @ruby12

The medical profession define urination frequency as more than 8 times day, i.e more often than about every 3 hours including during the night.  Therefore the fact you didn't need a toilet break during a 1 hour interview of course does not indicate no problem with frequency.

The DWP will clutch at straws to give reasons why claimant should not be entitled to points!  

• muldoon
    muldoon Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    I recently had a home assessment and the assessor completely ignored my main illness and he never referred to it in his report I have 8points for care and 10 points for mobility and he has also stated that in his opinion I have low level of pain and I take mild painkillers (tramadol) but I am on the maximum allowed
    what can I do 
  • ruby12
    Unbelievable really. The worrying thing is we are being assessed by people who have no knowledge of some of our conditions
  • Matilda
    @muldoon - have you asked for a mandatory reconsideration (MR)?  Tramadol is not a mild painkiller; it is morphine, a controlled drug.

@ruby12 - absolutely, often no knowledge of any of our conditions, though of course PIP is about how our conditions affect us rather than the conditions themselves.  But often assessors tell lies about how our conditions affect us despite the evidence.
  • muldoon
    muldoon Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    What worries me is that in his report he has put time scales for recovery and his opinion how long my illness is going to last I am never going too get better I have a rare chronic illness that is only going too get worse and they have a letter from my Gp and the group that supports my condition 
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    @Matilda,
    i agree as they say it’s about how our conditions affect us, how can they know if they don’t know about the conditions in the first place?
    if that makes sense 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.