PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

PIP Appeal wait timescale

ataloss2018ataloss2018 Member Posts: 48 Courageous
edited February 2018 in PIP, DLA and AA
Hi to everyone, appreciate this question may have been asked a thousand times already but here goes. 

My wife is disabled and has been waiting on an appeal time date for 29 weeks now and still we haven't heard anything, we've rang the appeals service but  they say they can't give a date when the appeal will be heard.

We are struggling financially and she has had a lot of hospital appointments lately, these hospital appointments all entail a round trip of 130 miles and the constant worry about the PIP appeal and the possible outcome is adding to her ill health.

Any pointers on how long the maximum waiting times for an appeal to be heard would be gratefully received.

Just for Info purposes,  she was initially on DLA and was transferred to PIP and had been on it for  3 years, in April last year she was assessed by a nurse from Atos and went from previously been awarded Enhanced Daily Living/Standard Mobility Component to zero points.  

Replies

• Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Member Posts: 5,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2018
    Hi @ataloss2018, and welcome to the community!

What a frustrating situation for you and your wife to be in. So sorry to hear that you've had to wait for such a long time, especially on top of dealing with ill health. Hopefully our benefits advisor will be in touch soon and able to offer some advice, but please do keep us updated on any developments in the meantime.
  • ataloss2018ataloss2018 Member Posts: 48 Courageous
    Many thanks PippaScope.  
  • MatildaMatilda Member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    @ataloss2018

You could ask for a short-notice hearing in case of a cancellation but you might only be given 24 hours' notice.
    Thanks Matilda, we did put down on the appeal form that my wife would be willing to attend a hearing at short notice. 
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi ataloss2018,

The waiting times are different in different parts of the country. I was recently advised that PIP appeals are waiting 33 weeks for a hearing in the West Midlands where I work. If you phone the Tribunals Service they should at least be able to tell you how many weeks your wife's appeal has been waiting and how many weeks the waiting time is. At least then you'll have a better idea.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
    Thanks Lee, we've rang the Tribunal Service on two occasions and each time they've said they are extending the wait time by another 3 weeks, we last rang over 3 weeks ago and they said we should hear of a date in the next 3 weeks, but still we've heard nothing.

Speaking with the call handlers I don't think they can give you any idea on when your appeal will be heard, they seem to just tell you how long you've been waiting for  and how long the system is telling them that you have to wait again.

Appreciate the reply.
    Still nothing, so frustrating and there's nothing you can do about it, the whole system needs a big shake.
    Well still nothing, 34 weeks now without a word.
  • BarbiesnemesisBarbiesnemesis Member Posts: 86 Pioneering
    edited March 2018
    Hello @ataloss2018 I know its not a lot of help but I can totally sympathise - I've been waiting since August 2017 (33 weeks) and it is torture having to wait. I've also telephoned the Tribunal Service several times and had the same response you've had. 'Love your user name x
  • kevin888kevin888 Member Posts: 53 Courageous
    Had to wait 24 weeks for mine last December. Worth the wait in the end as I won my appeal. Good luck.
  • SwatteamSwatteam Member Posts: 103 Courageous
    I waited a year from Feb 2017 to appeal date Feb 26th 2018
    At last, after a wait of 42 weeks the letter has arrived, appeal will be heard in 4 weeks time.  

Never thought it would take 46 weeks in total,  initially told the average wait was 26 weeks.
  • AliCat2329AliCat2329 Member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi I’m new here I’ve been reading your comments and have been waiting since December for a tribunal date. I’m in London so don’t know the waiting times also can somebody provide me with the phone number to ring to see how long the tribunal wait is please as I didn’t know there was such a service many thanks 
  • Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Member Posts: 5,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2018
    Welcome to the community, @AliCat2329!

The best number to ring would be the one listed on any of your previous DWP letters: hopefully they should be able to give you some further information.

Otherwise, here is the general number for PIP claims from the gov.uk page:
    DWP - PIP claims
    Telephone: 0800 917 2222
    Textphone: 0800 917 7777
    Calling from abroad: +44 191 218 7766 
    Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
    Find out about call charges
    @AliCat2329

There will be a phone number on your correspondence from HM Courts & Tribunals Service.  Phone them.

I understand that waiting times for tribunal hearings are up to 12 months now.
  • MandztMandzt Member Posts: 2 Listener
    I asked for a review due to a decline in my mental health I was on enhanced mobility was awarded it for 6 years to Zero. I'm in North Wales Prestatyn court will hear my case just wondering if anyone has an idea how long it will take I'm confident I'll get it reinstated but am struggling with losing £234 a month. I'll get it backdated from 19/01/18 if successful 
    Unfortunately, many people report a worsening of their disabilities and have their award reduced, not increased.  Always a risk to report a decline until a review is due anyway.
  • YadnadYadnad Member - under moderation Posts: 2,862 Disability Gamechanger
    Matilda said:
    Unfortunately, many people report a worsening of their disabilities and have their award reduced, not increased.  Always a risk to report a decline until a review is due anyway.
    When asking for a review due to a change in circumstances you first have to decide if the change is likely to give you more points or reduce the points. If you genuinely feel that the change won't affect your points one way or another then you do not need to report it.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Mandzt said:
    I asked for a review due to a decline in my mental health I was on enhanced mobility was awarded it for 6 years to Zero. I'm in North Wales Prestatyn court will hear my case just wondering if anyone has an idea how long it will take I'm confident I'll get it reinstated but am struggling with losing £234 a month. I'll get it backdated from 19/01/18 if successful 
    Some people are waiting as long as 1 year for a hearing date, backlogs are huge across most of country.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • sally1966sally1966 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Iv been waiting almost a year for my sons tribunal .
  • easilyconfusedeasilyconfused Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi all, So happy (sad) to see others waiting so long for PIP court appeal date. Daughter (25) had been getting DLA for years,  (Autism, Aspergers Syndrome, depression, chronic OCD +) attended her ATOS assessment and received no points (because, I believe, she looks fine!).
    That was in March, still waiting for appeal date. Rang and was told it would be roughly January. The stress this has caused my daughter has been immense and she struggles on her ESA.
    My question today is, if she wins appeal will she get payments backdated?
    I have also lost my Carers Allowance I was receiving for her. Thanks in advance! 
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,314 Disability Gamechanger
    Would absolutely not recommend you sign up for a short notice appeal no matter how great the temptation. A recipe for disaster on many fronts.
  • manhead666manhead666 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi all, I was told today if your wait for PIP court appeal was more than a year for a date  then they wouldn't have to pay you back  the money they would owe you if your appeal was successful does anyone know if this is true
    Hi all, I was told today if your wait for PIP court appeal was more than a year for a date  then they wouldn't have to pay you back  the money they would owe you if your appeal was successful does anyone know if this is true
    Not sure who told you that. If you win a Tribunal then you'll be backdated the money owed, eventually.

The only exception to this would be if they found an error in law and appealed that decision. If you lost that appeal you would be backdated any money.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • manhead666manhead666 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Not sure who told you that. If you win a Tribunal then you'll be backdated the money owed, eventually.

The only exception to this would be if they found an error in law and appealed that decision. If you lost that appeal you would be backdated any money.

Ok thanks for the info
  • davedj44davedj44 Member Posts: 32 Connected
    I'm still waiting 40 weeks on, phoned up and was told it was a guideline, I'll be notified by post but not given any idea when that will be. Add that to the 6 weeks from mandatory reconsideration  it's going to go over 12 months  It's so frustrating  
  • blueboy87blueboy87 Member Posts: 69 Courageous
    Hi all I’ve not been on for a while my brother has been waiting since July for an appeal still not heard anything we are from Middlesbrough does anyone know what the waiting time is thanks
    I've been waiting a total of 47 weeks including the pointless mandatory reconsideration appeal and still nothing. By the time I eventually get a hearing its looks like over a year of waiting. As each week passes I feel more and more exasperated. I've never been so low in my mood in the 54 years I've been alive. I just feel like this is never going to end. 
    There's huge backlogs in a lot of areas and some are waiting in excess of 1 year, not including the MR waiting time. If you ring HMCTS they will give you some idea of how much longer you have to wait.
    Hi poppy. I have stopped ringing the phone line now, because my waiting time has exceeded the average they were giving for Liverpool they won't give expected times now. I've registered my number for online updates, all the tracking does if outline details so far  So it's back to the frustration of waiting. I have to say my anxiety has never been so bad. My adhd symptoms and ptsd have gone through the roof. 
  • easilyconfusedeasilyconfused Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi davdj44, all I can say is don’t despair my daughter (25 & in Liverpool, ASD) waited a year for her appeal date which eventually came through last month, she thankfully won after a very stressful wait! Hang in there and don’t give up hope! Good luck xxxxxx
    Thank you for your message 
    I'm sorry to hear your condition has got worse. Unfortunately, the Tribunal can only take into consideration what you were like at the time the decision was made.

Fingers crossed it won't be too much longer for a hearing date. Good luck.
    I appreciate that, my health issues were bad enough before this, it's just helped to make a difficult situation so much worse  
    Last official wait time for the North West was 44 weeks and rising. This varies from week to week and quarter to quarter. However, given the wait time you need to ensure there are a number of things you have in place:

1 - if it was a DLA to PIP conversion is the DLA evidence in the appeal bundle? If it’s not you can find yourself waiting a year and then being adjourned for that evidence. Similarly, consider whether your GP records might be if any relevance and, if there’s any chance they might be, go get them now. You can get them free since GDPR was introduced although most GP practises are unfamiliar with this and may argue (wrongly) about it. Tribunals have wrongly been issued with guidance recently implying they can no longer ask for GP records so they may adjourn for you to go get them. 

2 - do you have representation? By this I mean someone who will turn up on the day; present the outline case; challenge any misunderstanding of your evidence; procedural irregularities and argue points of law putting in a written submission/argument in advance if needs be. Representation is not someone putting in a written submission and letting you go alone on the day. Have a read of https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/56379/representation-and-tribunal-hearings#latest for further information. Then, go to https://advicelocal.uk/ and get a rep. if you’ve not already done so. The NW has some advice deserts but is generally well served as far as representation is concerned in comparison to elsewhere.

A rep. will also highlight discrepancies between your claim pack; the supporting evidence and any subsequent arguments you’ve put in. They’ll ensure your case is consistent and spot stuff you might not.

3 - do you know your case?
    - which activities and which points?
    - why?
    - have you checked you have specific supporting evidence and at least 2 examples per points scoring activity? Are they written down so you don’t forget them on the day?

Lots of people, rightly, get very worked up and indeed ill, because of listing delays but it’s often the case that their case has no more to it on day 365 than it did on day 1 i.e. they’ve become so focused and anxious about the delay they’ve not taken advantage to prepare their case thoroughly. If you’ve not got all your ducks in a row as per the above then now’s your chance. 

4 - if you’ve already a rep. and you have further questions or concerns then direct them to your rep. and don’t bring them to a forum. The answers you will get may sometimes be quicker than from your rep. but they’ll often be confusing, incomplete or just plain wrong. 
  • cagsymcagsym Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi I am also waiting for tribunal date I was on DLA awarded for life then got told it would change to pip what a diabolical shambles the process is ! I've rang dwp to ask how long the wait is to be told 47 weeks in the meantime the disability car has to go back and in financial difficulty having lost the benefit DLA while waiting for PIP I have wrote to my MP  to question why nothing is being done to reduce the time waiting . Mike Hughes thank you for you advice I'll take that on board . I'm in Liverpool too so I'd advise anyone in same situ to write to their local MP good luck
    It's not the DWP you need to ring to ask what the current waiting times are in your area for Tribunals, it's HMCTS.
  • frecklesfreckles Member Posts: 258 Pioneering
    I had to wait 54 weeks for my appeal
  • GeraldGerald Member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    Hi to everyone, appreciate this question may have been asked a thousand times already but here goes. 

My wife is disabled and has been waiting on an appeal time date for 29 weeks now and still we haven't heard anything, we've rang the appeals service but  they say they can't give a date when the appeal will be heard.

We are struggling financially and she has had a lot of hospital appointments lately, these hospital appointments all entail a round trip of 130 miles and the constant worry about the PIP appeal and the possible outcome is adding to her ill health.

Any pointers on how long the maximum waiting times for an appeal to be heard would be gratefully received.

Just for Info purposes,  she was initially on DLA and was transferred to PIP and had been on it for  3 years, in April last year she was assessed by a nurse from Atos and went from previously been awarded Enhanced Daily Living/Standard Mobility Component to zero points.  
    This is me now have a date for my PIP Tribunal as I have been on the list for it from Feb 2018 and now I have a date which is on the 17/05/19  next week at last now all I have to do is get ready for it and keep my head and not let my mental health problems and my disabilities get on top of me on the day.
  • sassysailorsassysailor Member Posts: 8 Listener
    Hi guys, I've just read though from the original post and wow you all have been waiting a long time!

I'm in chester, waiting times are upwards of 12 months.

I have PTSD and still awaiting treatment but was awarded mobility straight away which was odd as I can't go outside 🙈

I am represented by a charity called DIAL and they have been fantastic.
    With my condition I find it hard to concentrate and grow increasingly frustrated with the simplest of tasks which leads to dissociation which in turn makes me worse (kind of a lose lose situation) so for anyone feeling at a loss I would highly recommend searching for your local dial or any disability charity because with out them I wouldn't of even known about pip or an increase in UC that I'm entitled to.

I've been off work since January last year and only just found out about pip so don't be like me 🤣 seek help you will always find it, good luck everyone also can't wait to hear your outcomes from appeals when we all get there xoxo
    The mobility is to help you to maybe go outside.
    Matilda said:
    Well how silly of them because that isn't happening haha 
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing Team, Community Team Posts: 7,940 Scope community team
    Hello @sassysailor and a very warm welcome to the community, it's nice to have you with us. :)
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

If you have a few minutes to spare, we'd appreciate your feedback on our online community.
    Thank you 😁
  • cagsymcagsym Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Good Morning well my MP bought my case up in house of lords and Angela lesson sent him an email the day before she resigned ! I don't know how to share the email to show you the twaddle she replied back ! Let's just say good job she resigned does not have a clue how DWP work or PIP  still waiting for a tribunal date so angry that we have to be with out benefits while these so called professionals dither over our illness 
    cagsym said:
    Good Morning well my MP bought my case up in house of lords and Angela lesson sent him an email the day before she resigned ! I don't know how to share the email to show you the twaddle she replied back ! Let's just say good job she resigned does not have a clue how DWP work or PIP  still waiting for a tribunal date so angry that we have to be with out benefits while these so called professionals dither over our illness 
    It is appalling that our lives our in their hands constantly they've just stopped free school meals in my area... MPs spend more a month on eating out than my child's whole school eat in a school year!! The system is corrupt 
    Matilda said:
    Well how silly of them because that isn't happening haha 
    @sassysailor there’s nothing accurate in the above. PIP mobility has 2 elements and 1 if them is about planning and following a route and on what you’ve posted I’d have expected 1d, which is 10 points and gives you mobility at standard rate. 

Mobility is not awarded to “maybe help you go outside”. Anything you are told about the intent of PIP is either propaganda or just wrong. You can spend it on what the heck you want and that has always been the case.
    By and large MPs aren’t interested in PIP no matter what their political persuasion unless it can further their political career in some way. My suggestions above didn’t include writing to your MP and generally it’s not something I would recommend as it’s just a sideshow to the actual job of getting you PIP. Your time, as I suggest above, would be better spent on the detailed preparation of your case and in many cases the huge delays at tribunal level can be a considerable advantage.

There is much talk of how random PIP decision making is but in general the only random element is the HCP report. A poor one can always be overcome with good evidence and especially a great claim pack. Few cases go to appeal where the claim pack was actually as good as claimants think it was so I would refer you back to my post about using this delay for preparation and representation. This is your one shot to do that. An MPs involvement is neither here nor there in that respect. 

It’s also only fair to defend/explain HMCTS in these circumstances too. The delays are not because of dithering at all. They are explicitly because of 

- a significant number of appeals
    - consistently poor staffing planning over a number of years by HMCTS at a high level
    - public sector cuts re: staffing and buildings 
    - the difficulties in recruiting disability qualified members and medical professionals. People think these earn a fortune doing tribunals. They do not. They are paid on a sessional basis and there are few incentives for young members to take part of they’re already holding down on a full time role. 
    Sassy sailor, I suggest you don't tell DWP you think they are silly to award you mobility, or they might want to reassess you.
    Matilda said:
    Sassy sailor, I suggest you don't tell DWP you think they are silly to award you mobility, or they might want to reassess you.
    Well I wouldn't say that to them 🤣 but if they think they can bribe me to go outside when I have serious post traumatic stress is a bit silly 🤷🏼‍♀️

Well I wouldn't say that to them 🤣 but if they think they can bribe me to go outside when I have serious post traumatic stress is a bit silly 🤷🏼‍♀️
    You're totally misunderstanding the award you have here. They are not bribing you to go out. You were awarded standard rate for following and planning a journey because your mental health prevents you from going out.
    Okay what I said was in jest, I'm really sorry if you misunderstood what I was saying.
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,258 Disability Gamechanger
    Okay what I said was in jest, I'm really sorry if you misunderstood what I was saying.
    No need to be sorry. It does sound strange to give a mobility award to a claimant that cannot go out. As Mike said you can use the award for any purpose,
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
    No need to be sorry. It does sound strange to give a mobility award to a claimant that cannot go out. As Mike said you can use the award for any purpose,
    Thank you the social worker/solicitor that's doing my claim for me said the same thing that she's never had someone be awarded it on its on straight away 🤷🏼‍♀️ but I know nothing about it that's why I think it's important people spread word and get help with these things because if you don't know what you're doing you might not even know you can appeal these things x
  • GeraldGerald Member Posts: 214 Pioneering

Well ataloss2018 the time I had from my M.R. to tribunal was 19 months its a joke how there is know time limit for it.
    No good news really. I've just got my appeal date. It's taken 52 weeks. 
    71% of appeals win.  It's worth the wait.
  • DumplingDumpling Member Posts: 24 Connected
    I have my appeal on 7th June. I had waited a year. 
  • festigirlfestigirl Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi all, new on here, I would like to know if it’s wise to have a hearing by paper, my son whose pip we are fighting for is at the moment in a hospital in Norwich a unit for eating disorders and mental Health and has been for 12 wks. I just sent evidence of this and have now had an email asking when his discharge date will be and if we would like a non attending hearing. I can’t give a discharge date and the hearing will be in Truro so a major journey as in application that’s where my son was. We are now at 43 wks so could get a date soon, any advice please would be gratefully received.
    festigirl said:
    Hi all, new on here, I would like to know if it’s wise to have a hearing by paper, my son whose pip we are fighting for is at the moment in a hospital in Norwich a unit for eating disorders and mental Health and has been for 12 wks. I just sent evidence of this and have now had an email asking when his discharge date will be and if we would like a non attending hearing. I can’t give a discharge date and the hearing will be in Truro so a major journey as in application that’s where my son was. We are now at 43 wks so could get a date soon, any advice please would be gratefully received.
    Hi,

Paper based hearings have a considerably less chance of success than oral hearings. Only 5-8% of paper based hearings succeed, against 74% of those that appear in person.

Are you his appointee? If so then have you asked HMCTS if you can appear in person for your son? This maybe an option because of him being in hospital. I would contact them to ask.
  • festigirlfestigirl Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi and thanks for such a quick reply, I am his appointee and have said that should my son still be in the unit I would represent him as I’m already registered as his representative on all documents, they said they would expect to see the appellant at his own tribunal, I explained that when phoning the contact number on the tribunals letter I was told categorically that I could go and represent my son without actually informing the tribunal, apparently this is incorrect and it was very lucky this Came to light after sending evidence. I’m not keen on a paper tribunal for fear of him loosing yet what are you supposed to do when odds are stacked against you
    It's a very difficult decision to make. Whether or not a decision will go in his favour with a paper based decision will totally depend on how his case was presented. Lots of areas have backlogs in excess of 1 year, if this is your area then you still have a while to go yet. If you do have a date soon, then good luck what ever you decide.
  • worried33worried33 Member Posts: 399 Pioneering
    If you get one in 32 weeks I would say thats quite quick for the tribunal service,

I have had 2 tribunals personally.

The first took nearly 22 months for a hearing.
    The second was a quicker one but still a 19 month wait, (including adjournment.)

When I did work for a charity that did tribunal work, I think the quickest I had ever seen was just under a year.
    Thank you the social worker/solicitor that's doing my claim for me said the same thing that she's never had someone be awarded it on its on straight away 🤷🏼‍♀️ but I know nothing about it that's why I think it's important people spread word and get help with these things because if you don't know what you're doing you might not even know you can appeal these things x
    There is a world of difference between a social worker and a solicitor. There’s certainly no hybrid of the two and I’m a little concerned that at this stage you’re not clear on who is representing you and in what capacity. This is something you need to clarify immediately.

festigirl said:
    ... I explained that when phoning the contact number on the tribunals letter I was told categorically that I could go and represent my son without actually informing the tribunal, apparently this is incorrect and it was very lucky this Came to light after sending evidence. I’m not keen on a paper tribunal for fear of him loosing yet what are you supposed to do when odds are stacked against you

It is perfectly possible that someone can turn up on the day and formally represent without previously having been announced as doing so. Nothing prohibits that at all. However, the question of whether that is wise or whether a specific tribunal judge will allow that is slightly different. 

Please have a look at this before you decide it’s the best way forward. 

https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/56379/representation-and-tribunal-hearings#latest

What you actually need here is to ask for directions from a judge as to whether your sin will be required to attend and if so that they don’t list it until date x. This is not a ,agree that can be dealt with by talking to a HMCTS call centre. You absolutely need to avoid a paper hearing if possible. 
Sign in or join us to comment.