Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Wife becoming carer and problems with contributions based ESA

shakey12345shakey12345 Member Posts: 1 Listener
hi people 
i need some advice please
i have been on esa income based for over 5 years i am in a support group
but my condition has got worse over the last 3 years and i was recently told that my wife can apply to be my carer 
we did this applied and got the answer yes she can be my carer
now she is my carer we have been put on contributions based esa  but i believe we will lose some benefits because of this mainly the council tax  i have had a lot of problems with this in the past and had to pay back a lot of money  back  so  do i need to tell them that i am now on contributions based esa  and also will it effect my dentist as i never paid when i was on income based same with my glasses 
any help i can get will be  greatly appreciated
many thanks 


  • JennysDadJennysDad Member Posts: 2,308 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Philip @shakey12345, and welcome to the community.
    I'm not, myself, an authority on benefits, but we have plenty of those here, together with some potentially useful online resources. Now, it's likely this 'welcome' post of yours will be moved, shortly, to one of the forums that is more relevant to your own enquiry, and others will then come back to you to try to help and assist.
    For now you might like to have a look at the links at the top of the right-hand column further down the screen, headed 'Employment, finances and disability benefits'.
    Don't worry if it doesn't all make immediate sense, just stay in touch and we'll do the best we can.
    Warmest best wishes to you and your lady,
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi Philip

    Although it is possible it is not likely that income related ESA should stop when a partner applies as a carer. It is also unlikely that you will be worse off but it will very much depend on the combination of benefits that are in payment and without the exact amounts it would be impossible for us to know. If you would like to set out yours and your partner's entitlement rates and other income we should be able to advise further.

    Best wishes
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    hi philip

    if you no longer have an IR element then you will have to pay for NHS services
    if you are on a low income then you should apply for an HC2 certificate which will cover these

    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
Sign in or join us to comment.