What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Taking 6 months off work to look after son who is having surgery

michellebabemichellebabe Member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi I am trying to find out if I take 6 months off work as parental leave unpaid  to care for my son who is 10 and going to have spinal surgery for his scoliosis (curve of the spine) if i can claim any benefits for him and anything I can claim while I am not working thanks 


  • JennysDadJennysDad Member Posts: 2,308 Pioneering
    Hi @michellebabe and welcome to the community. Glad you found us.
    I'm afraid I don't have the specific answer to your question, but I'm sure somebody here will be able to help you. In the first instance I'd ask you to keep in touch, and perhaps have a look at this link:https//community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-a-benefits-advisor
    Warmest best wishes to you,
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi michellebabe

    The key benefit here is likely to be Disability Living Allowance. If you are awarded middle or highest rate DLA care component for your son this is likely to allow you to claim Carer's Allowance with a possible top up of Income Support (or Universal Credit if in a full service area). The combined payment of Income Support and Carer's Allowance is usually a bit over £100 per week. There could well be other entitlements including significant amounts of Child Tax Credit (or Universal Credit) and i suggest you get a calculation done on the Scope benefits calculator here.

    You can find out more about DLA on the Scope page here.

    As it's a fairly big decision to make i suggest you get further advice and check the exact amounts.

    Best wishes
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.