Mental health issues
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Anxiety/Depression and crossing roads

keirakeira Member Posts: 136 Courageous
edited February 2018 in Mental health issues
Does anyone else have problems with crossing roads? I won't use pedestrian crossings as I can't stand being around crowds of people. So I just cross at other places but have had near misses as I can't concentrate very well and just run across quickly! I don't look cause I always keep my head down when walking. Can anyone else relate to this?

Replies

• Cocchedda27Cocchedda27 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    I have same issue with the only difference that I have limited mobility as well with mental health problem and I use pedestrian crossing 
  • thespicemanthespiceman Member Posts: 6,408 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @keira How are you.?  I am sure that this is extremely distressing for you.

What would worry me is your safety.  My concern that you will cause an accident.

I can understand this because I have limited motobility and can not walk very fast.  Have also mental health issues.

I have to use pelican crossings because of my disability.  Please can I suggest wait till the people gone..

Other one if there is no crossing.  Do Green Cross Code, try to be patient I know not easy give your self a treat after wards.  Have also a tune or a saying in your head.  Keeps concentration

I say a few songs I am singing this to my self and the same time thinking how can I do this today.  Small steps.

I suffer anxiety mainly crowded areas.

Take care hope any of this works.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,731 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @keira

I am sorry to hear that this is a struggle for you, but road safety is so important and it is so vital that you come up with some coping strategies for this as otherwise you are putting yourself and others at risk.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
Sign in or join us to comment.