Question about council tax when on PIP and ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Question about council tax when on PIP and ESA

ricks Member Posts: 1 Listener
I am in ESA Support group and receive housing allowance and council tax reduction. I have recently been awarded PIP Standard Living and Enhanced Mobility. When I inform the housing allowance and council tax crew, could I see my allowance drop and my council tax payment increase due to change in income?
Many thanks in advance.


  • Sue52
    Sue52 Member Posts: 78 Courageous
    [email protected]

    Good evening.

    I claim part housing benefit because I work part time. On my award letter is says that PIP is not taken into consideration
    Hope this helps
    Best wishes 

  • Bill
    Bill Member Posts: 30 Courageous
    Hi @ricks ,

    Welcome to this Online Community! The Community has many resources, including advisers who can give you precise answers to your point. 
    Generally, I agree with the reply above from @Sue52 - I understood that  PIP is not a benefit  and so "PIP is not taken into consideration".

  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering

    PIP is a benefit, but it's never taken into account as income for Housing Benefit, and in fact, depending on your circumstances, it could even increase your HB (that depends on lots of factors - for example, if you're already on income-related ESA, you're already getting maximum HB).

    If you are on income-related ESA, you should make sure they know about your award of PIP, and if you're not, it's possible that you are entitled to it now (that's because there are certain premiums which are included in the calculation of income-related ESA when you are on PIP). Again, this will depend on lots of other circumstances, including whether you have a working partner living with you.

    Basically, I would let everyone (ESA, the council, HMRC if you have a partner on Working Tax Credit) know about your PIP. 

    Council tax is a little more complicated, because each local authority is different, but I would not expect the amount you have to pay to go up. In fact, you may be entitled to money off.

    The general message when it comes to PIP & other benefits is: it doesn't reduce them, it can only increase them. One important exception however is social care - if you get care provided at home & your local authority charge you, they can take your PIP daily living component into account.

    Here's a link to a useful Citizens Advice information page about extra help you can get when on PIP.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • wilko
    wilko Member Posts: 2,449 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks Will of scope you explained that far better than I could or would have done, best to keep everybody in the loop than have to repay an overpayment.
  • Bill
    Bill Member Posts: 30 Courageous
    to @BenefitsTrainingCo
    Thank you for your recent reply above . I wonder if I could ask for your comment on the following case?
    I have the condition mild congenital spastic quadriplegia.  For most of my working life I was able to work and did not have a social advisor. At the end (I am now 61)  I was placed in the support group for ESA and I was awarded PIP.
    Last November, I had an accident. and I have now a carer until recovered. My local authority wishes me to pay for my care. Who should I tell of my PIP? 
    I hav e today received my PIP letter from DWP (PIP yearly update). Should I tell the DWP of my hospital visit?
  • wilko
    wilko Member Posts: 2,449 Disability Gamechanger
    There is no need to inform DWP of routine hospital appointments unless you are going to been in hospital for 28days or more. As for your PIP that is not a problem but contact your local citizens advice Center who will advice you on if you or the council should pay for your care, it may depend on your savings go and get some advice.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.