Informed I'm no longer entitled to high mobility rate, waiting for tribunal — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Informed I'm no longer entitled to high mobility rate, waiting for tribunal

sanny
sanny Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited February 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I was awarded hug rate mobility of pip and low rate care back in 2016 due to severe arthritis in my knees.I was diagnosed with COPD in June 2017 I contacted the DWP to tell them about a change in my circumstances they sent someone out to see me then informed me I wasn’t entitled to the hug mobility rate.I asked for a mandatory review but they have stuck by the decision.My argument is arthritis doesn’t just go away 

Comments

• sanny
    I’ve now been waiting 3month for a tribunal 
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @sanny and welcome to the community. I'm glad you found your way here.
    Now, I don't have a specific answer to your particular question, but PIP (you will not be surprised to hear) is a very big topic on the site and we have some excellent resources for you to look at and members for you to talk to.
    You're in a safe place here, and among friends. Don't be shy of talking to us.
    Because your query is very much about PIP your 'introduction'  post will probably be moved shortly to a forum which is of more direct use to you. In the meantime you might like to have a look at some of the links that you can see lower down the screen. I'm going to put one of them, Talk About PIP/DLA right here for you to get started: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/talk-about-pip-dla
    Give it a look, stay in touch, and don't hesitate to ask any questions.
    Warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard
  • Lasian_Alumni
    Lasian_Alumni Community member Posts: 659 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @sanny!

I’m sorry to hear about the problems you’ve been having with PIP. It can be really hard waiting for a tribunal, I hope you get a date for it soon!

We have a lot of useful information about appealing a DWP benefits decision on our website, including some resources on tribunals. You may find the following videos helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIHjSpNNbQo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WEvbFVlQOc

I hope this helps! Please do let us know if you have any questions.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,335 Disability Gamechanger
    sanny said:
    Hi I was awarded hug rate mobility of pip and low rate care back in 2016 due to severe arthritis in my knees.I was diagnosed with COPD in June 2017 I contacted the DWP to tell them about a change in my circumstances they sent someone out to see me then informed me I wasn’t entitled to the hug mobility rate.I asked for a mandatory review but they have stuck by the decision.My argument is arthritis doesn’t just go away 
    Did they give a reason why you weren't award the Enhanced rate again? They can not reduce an award without good reason. I know Tribunal hearings have a huge backlog in all areas, so there's not much you can do about that right now. Hopefully not too long. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sanny
    I had a home interview after I told them about my COPD because I walked to my front door and back the interviewer said I was ft enough to walk 50 yards hence why they stopped my enhanced rate .As with everything else I have good days n bad days 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    It's a favourite trick of assessors to say that because the claimant can walk a few meters then they must be able to walk up to 50m.  My assessor said in her report that she watched me walk 16m to assessment room and therefore I could walk 50m.  I pointed out in my appeal submission that this was a preposterous extrapolation.  At the Hearing the panel questioned me about my walking distance ability and increased my mobility award from standard to enhanced.
  • sanny
    I have just received a letter from the dwp they have overturned the decision I no longer need to go to appeal.A big weight of my mind as I have mobility car which I really need as I have hospital appointments every month and the hospital is 160ml round trip thankyou for your help 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Congratulations, @sanny
  • sanny
    Thankyou I was having sleepless nights worrying about it 
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Congratulations! @sanny!
  • sanny
    All I can say to anyone going through the process of appeal is don’t give it up
    .I know you will feel like giving up
    but please don’t 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.