What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Caring and benefits

WarrenWarren Member Posts: 1 Listener
What I would like to know. My Wife is  Terminally ill with Lung and Heart Problems. I am registered as Her Carer. My Wife can walk very slowly with an Oxygen Tank but cannot climb steps or any form of Incline This seems to me to be serious yet She only gets £200 per Month, We have had to buy out of our own Savings extra Equipment which the NHS will not supply. We cannot obtain total Disability, which would allow us to obtain a Mobility Motor Vehicle WE are both 71 years I have Chronic Arthritis of the Back and Legs but I do not claim any form of disability would I be able to seeing my Wife is claiming  


  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Warren, and welcome to the community! I'm so sorry to hear about your circumstances, it sounds like you and your wife are facing many difficulties at the moment and I hope we can help.

    Firstly, have you tried using the online benefits calculator? Just input your details and it will tell you what benefits you may be eligible for. If you do decide to apply for any additional benefits, do have a look at these special benefit rules that apply where somebody is terminally ill- your application may be fast-tracked.

    You might also like to have a look at our grants search to see if there are any awards that you could apply for. These could help to cover the costs of any additional equipment.

    And finally, it sounds like you're dealing with a lot on top of your own health conditions. You might want to contact Carers UK to see if they can offer any additional support. I hope this helps and do keep in touch- we'll advise wherever we can. 
  • JennysDadJennysDad Member Posts: 2,308 Pioneering
    Just saying hello, @Warren. Always good to make a new friend. You've got good advice from @PippaScope , so I'll just leave my best wishes with you.
    Here for you,
    Warmest best wishes,
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi @Warren

    Sounds like you're dealing with a lot!

    If your wife is terminally ill, ask her doctors to issue her with a form DS1500 - this would mean that the Daily Living aspect of PIP was at least paid automatically, which is 83.10/week and so an improvement on the current situation - when you send it in, also ask for her mobility to be reviewed, as there is a reasonableness test which includes timeframe and safety which it sounds like your wife would not pass (i.e. that she should be entitled to some mobility too) not sure if it will be high rate - as not enough info - and that's what you would need for the mobility car.
    he equipment etc - I definitely think that if you have not done so already, you should contact your local authority and ask both for your wife to be assessed for her disability needs, and for you to also be assessed as a Carer - as there is a lot they can do to help - if you feel they are not helping you seek advice from a Community Care specialist as they may provide more if challenged - CC specialists still operate within legal aid, therefore dependent on your income/capital you may get this assistance for free.

    As regards your own disability - yes you can also claim PIP. Nothing to prevent this whatsoever.

    Best wishes,

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • stephenjohnstephenjohn Member Posts: 44 Courageous
    Difficult times ! You don’t need all this stress ,good luck ,best wishes ,love and hugs 
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Warren and welcome

    So sorry but you have been given some bad advice above
    As you are both 71 you cannot claim PIP,. The benefit available to you is Attendance Allowance


    Unfortunately there is no mobility component with AA


    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
Sign in or join us to comment.