Careers allowance — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Careers allowance

Options
janejr
janejr Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
Hi can anyone advise me about careers allowance as my daughter used to help me doing the jobs I can't do but has moved to another city so can't help me anymore. Can I claim it myself and pay other people to do heavy duty jobs I can't do for myself

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @janejr
    Carer's Allowance is claimed by the carer not by the person who needs care.

But If you have care and support needs and find it difficult to look after yourself, your local authority may be able to advise you and provide help.

The best way to get help from your local authority is to ask for a needs assessment.

When you get assessed by the local authority, as a minimum you may be given information and signposting to other services, and ways that you might find funding to pay for them. However, if your needs meet the national eligibility criteria, your local authority will have to meet these needs.

The local authority will involve you throughout the assessment to identify what your needs are and how these affect your wellbeing. They will also discuss with you how you wish to live your life, and whether there are certain aims you would like to achieve but are unable to because of your care and support needs.

The assessment will start to consider how your care needs might be met. This may involve identifying how preventative services might help. These could include:

• simple aids, such as devices to open jars and tins more easily
    • adaptations to your home, such as handrails
    • information about support available in the community

The assessment will also identify if you have a higher level of need, where you may need help in your own home or care in a care home.

The assessment should involve you and take sufficient time to capture all your needs.

Via NHS website

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • janejr
    janejr Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    Options

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.