Universal credit payments — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal credit payments

Gary292
Gary292 Community member Posts: 7 Connected
edited February 2018 in Work and employment
Hi there I've been on universal credit since December 2017 after being on ESA.i had a Total knee replacement 17/10/2016 and have been off work since.my leg is in more pain now than pre op and have only just managed to get off morphine pain relief after 15 months only because other pain relief has been increased to compensate.after all this time my employer has terminated my employment on medical grounds and will be paying me my termination notice of 4 week's pay.i would like to know if my UC will be affected by this payment considering I had to work 4 weeks at start of employment before being paid.

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Gary292, sorry to hear about your situation. Hopefully an employment advisor will be in touch ASAP.
  • Pia_Scope
    Pia_Scope Scope Posts: 41 Pioneering
    Hi@Gary292

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties that you are going through.

I wish that I could have given you a positive answer, but unfortunately, the answer is that the Universal Credit will be affected by this payment.

Your final earnings when you stop work are taken into account in the assessment period in which they are paid. This includes

• arrears of pay
    • pay in lieu of notice
    • accrued holiday pay

The following lump sum payments are taken into account as capital

• Statutory and contractual redundancy pay
    • Employment tribunal awards for unfair dismissal
    • Pay in lieu of notice for damages for breach of contract
    The only positive is that it shouldn't leave you worse off.

Thanks for the query & I wish you all the best.

Pia
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.