Diabetic - If I quit my job what benefits am I entitled to? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Diabetic - If I quit my job what benefits am I entitled to?

cogeasca Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, my name is cogeasca and I am diabetic. I work long hours and cannot control my blood sugar. If I quit my job what benefits am I entitled to ask?


  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @cogeasca
    Welcome to the community, we have a benefits calculator here that you might like to fill in to see what you could be entitled to.
    Senior online community officer
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Posts: 8,845 Connected
    If you quit your job you’ll likely be sanctioned for leaving voluntarily without just cause (as it used to be so quaintly titled) so you need to amass strong evidence of having explored all possible options with your employer. You’ll also need strong evidence of having sought alternative employment. Allied to this you need to be prepared to justify why now and not say six months ago. Don’t even think of quitting before you’ve thought through all of the above.

    Beyond that you’ll be looking at JSA, ESA or UC depending on where you live and your exact household circumstances.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,384 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @cogeasca and welcome to the community.

    Have you discussed this with your employer, and if so have they made adjustments to work to make it easier to cope? IE included extra breaks for you to eat and manage your sugar levels?

    As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.