What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Need help State Pension in 2 weeks

Lynne53Lynne53 Member Posts: 52 Courageous
I am due my State Pension on 6th March. I have not been able to get any help or advice from the Pension Department. At the moment I'm on ESA, my husband is on my claim (he doesn't appear on any breakdown of figures but they say he is on my claim) and we get Severe Disability Premium. My husband gets standard rate care PIP and I get enhanced care and mobility.  I have filled in a paper application for my Pension and I have been advised to claim Pension Credit. I have also been told that there is a Severe Disability Payment with Pension Credit but I don't know how to go about claiming that.  I have been trying to find out what I need to do for several weeks and I am worried that when  ESA and the Severe Disability Payment will stop on 6th March our Housingand Council Tax  Benefits will also stop. There will be nothing coming in but we will have to pay full rent and Council Tax. Can anyone advise me what to do, I am so worried.


  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Lynne53, Citizens Advice also have a great resource on which benefits are affected by pensions that you may like to read, and hopefully a benefits advisor will be able to clarify this further for you.
  • Lynne53Lynne53 Member Posts: 52 Courageous
    Thank you for your replies, I'm really grateful.

  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering

    I really don't think you need to worry too much. You could claim Pension Credit around the same time you start to get your pension. You can backdate it, so don't worry if you don't claim it on the exact same day! Or, another option is to claim PC in advance, which is perfectly possible and might put your mind at rest. You can claim it up to four months before you reach the qualifying age, if you know you're going to be entitled. The date of your claim would be the date you qualify (ie, the date you reach pension age), so there would be no overlap with ESA.

    You don't have to claim the severe disability amount (equivalent of the SDP) in PC. It's not a separate claim.  It should be included, because you meet the conditions - you're both on disability benefits which qualify you, no one get carer's allowance for you, and no one else lives with you.

    Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction should continue as they are now, as long as you get some guarantee credit. That is the part of Pension Credit which reflects your income (your state pension) being less than what you need to live on. From what you've said, I think you will get this, but I can't be sure, just in case there is any other income you haven't mentioned.

    I suggest that you let HB and CTR know in advance that this change is happening, and that your income-related ESA is going to stop. Tell them you'll let them know as soon as Pension Credit is awarded, and that, if there is a gap in the meantime, you'll be needing a 'nil income' award of HB. But hopefully, you can make an advance claim for PC and receive it as soon as you become entitled.

    Best of luck.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.