Defending yourself from the Beast from the the East - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Defending yourself from the Beast from the the East

13»

Comments

• Markinsutton
    Markinsutton Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    Hi @thespiceman

Been out today with carer and managed to get enough food to last me the week so I am feeling a little more happy if carers can't come due to the poor weather. I saw on the news today a carer from Glasgow had died trying to get to people. 

I used to have a neighbour he would help me out but I rarely see my new neighbour now. She doesn't speak much english so I wouldn't be sure asking. I am quite cut off living up a steep hill.

I have a meeting next week with care manager about my care as the people I have at the moment don't want to plan and I struggle myself what can be done in the time they are here. I have had really good care in the pass so I know what is possible but these days carers are not treated very well on so little pay. even today the care is worried as she has 3 other calls to go too and her son's school has closed early so he is staying with a friend but she isn't sure she will get to see him tonight. As much as I feel sorry for her without the support I couldn't really let her go home early, and said that I really appreciate her coming as my normal carer has phone in sick.  

I am lucky that my care manager is very good and understands my needs very well and since losing my home because I could not afford to pay the bills I now rent a place that my landlord has allowed me to adapt it. 

thanks it's good to chat to people on here it helps with not feeling so isolated. as for your friend it is not nice when you try and offer what you can but then they treat you like that. I have found in the pass people have only helped me out because I would give them money which they never paid back, when I got into trouble with money myself and couldn't give them money they stopped helping me out, like you I want to help out when I can but sometimes you just can't. not that I am saying I only gave people money to help me. 

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi Everyone,

We've been busy at the helpline taking lots of queries about heating and cold weather payments so I just wanted to share with everyone our Fuel Bills pages where you can find out about help available including a link to check if you're due a Cold Weather Payment in your area. I expect most areas are eligible at the moment.

I also wanted to let everyone know about Local Welfare Assistance Schemes if you're in crisis with your gas and electricity.

Speak to your energy provider first if you're struggling as they're often best placed to help in emergencies, especially if you're on a pre-payment meter.

The helpline team has been working hard over various sites including our homes for those of us unable to get into the helpline office. It's been a bit chaotic but we've been working hard to keep the service running and answer as many queries as we can.

We're just about to sign off for the week ready for another busy week next week.

Stay warm and stay safe.

Best wishes
    Debbie

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Markinsutton Thank you for reply.  I did see that report about a carer.

I was trying to explain the main problem was making sure you were adequately provided for.

I am glad you have spoken to your care manager.  There are things you can do safely and with confidence.  That is good and I wish you well.

I hope you can get sorted, may I say I just trying to be helpful with knowledge

That you could use.  I am acutely aware of the care system.  The problems.  I just wanted to inform you.  There is nothing wrong asking for support, advice.

Us gentlemen some times it is good to say could you advise me on how can I do that?.  Please I need and could do with.  Nothing wrong in admitting failures.  I have learnt so much from our community.  I have to own up and admit I need a helping hand or advice.

Nothing wrong with being independent but sometimes we need to talk, discuss and get much needed support.

We are here as a community to support help each other.

This cold weather has bought out the community spirit in others.  In some the beast and from the east in their minds.

Yes I agree about the lad who rang.

It irritated me especially as he ever only rings when he requires or wants anything.  The worse is the start of the call is my name speaking.   Single monotone voice dreary and so depressing.

I hope to speak to soon take care
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.