Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

ESA support group and work

CarolecatwomanCarolecatwoman Member Posts: 8 Connected
I'm in the support group for ESA and wondered if I will lose any  money from this benefit of I could work 4 or 6 hours per week.


  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Carolecatwoman, this information is from the Citizens Advice page and refers to permitted work for ESA:

    You can do some paid or unpaid work while you’re getting ESA and it won’t affect your benefit. This is called ‘permitted work’, or ‘supported permitted work’.

    Any job can be permitted work as long as each week you're working under 16 hours, and earning less than £120.  It doesn't matter whether you’re in the support group or the work-related activity group.

    'Supported permitted work' is work that’s either:

    • supervised by someone from a local council or voluntary organisation whose job it is to arrange work for disabled people
    • part of a treatment programme under medical supervision

    You can also earn up to £120 a week doing supporting permitted work. 

    If you’re not sure whether the sort of work you want to do will be seen as permitted work or supported permitted work, you can ask an experienced adviser at your local Citizens Advice and they’ll be able to help you.

    If you’re going to start doing permitted work, supported permitted work, or volunteering, you should tell the Department for Work and Pensions (the DWP) by calling the ESA helpline.

    ESA helpline
    Telephone: 0800 055 6688
    Textphone: 0800 023 4888
    Welsh language telephone: 0800 012 1888
    Open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 6.00pm

  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2018
    Be careful that any work you do does not conflict with the reason for your claim

    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • IngaInga Member Posts: 3 Listener

    Research on young disabled people's transitions to paid work and out-of-work welfare benefits in England.


    My name is Inga Reichelt. I am a research student at the University of Leeds. I am 27 years old and I grew up in Germany. I have had cerebral palsy since I was born and I am a young disabled person.

    I want to understand the lives of other young disabled people in the United Kingdom and Germany, in relation to work and welfare.

    Are you disabled or do you have a chronic condition or impairment of any kind?

    Are you between 16 and 26 years old?

    Do you live in England?

    Are you having problems finding suitable or desirable paid work?

    Or are you experiencing challenges while in paid work?

    Or do you need changes made to enable you to work?

    Or do you have positive experiences of paid work?

    Then I would like to talk to you!

    You are invited to take part in an interview for my Doctoral research. The interview will take about two hours. It can take place at your preferred location. You will get £10 as a reward.


    For more information, please email me at [email protected] or alternatively call or text 07511295356. You can also instant message me at: https://www.m.me/inga.reichelt

    Thank you for your interest!


    Read more at https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/41213/call-for-participants
Sign in or join us to comment.