Employment and careers
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Giving up work to be a carer

blueboysadblueboysad Member Posts: 6 Connected
edited March 2018 in Employment and careers
I have been on long term sick for 2 years.I am still technically employed but have not received any wages or occupational sick pay from my employer for over a year.We are bringing up our grandson who receives middle rate care DLA and lower rate mobility DLA.I have just started receiving income support as a carer for him and also receive carers allowance.Can I give up my employment without any sanctions from DWP,?


  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @blueboysad, and welcome to the community!

    I've moved this post into our ask an employment advisor category where hopefully one of our advisors will be able to offer some input on this.
  • Zaid_ScopeZaid_Scope Member Posts: 66 Courageous
    Hi @blueboysad
    Based on what you have written here, I think you could possibly formally end your employment without sanction from DWP. However, as we know, with DWP things are never that straightforward. My advice would be to approach a Citizens Advice Bureau with your query, call the guys on the Scope Helpline or consult DWP directly to find out your options here. Hopefully you can get this sorted and focus on caring for your grandson. 

    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: [email protected]

Sign in or join us to comment.