ESA how tough is the support group? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA how tough is the support group?

abbashaz
abbashaz Community member Posts: 6 Connected
Hi,

My mum gets PIP daily and enhanced mobility.

We went for our ESA assessment, however our assessor was probably one of the most ignorant and rude person I've ever come across.

I'm quite certain due to my mums medical report we would get the limited work capability part of ESA, however work for my mum would be unsafe, and she probably scores over 25-30 points.. but none of them being 15 in the scoring system,.

I am sure she most likely won't get the support group, is there anything I can do to appeal? and how successful are people with appealing.

Thanks.

Comments

• Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    @abbashaz

Having PIP, won't get you into the ESA S Group as you will have to satisfy the discriptors for ESA Support group? It's not just down to any diagnosis but they help as this test is functional based and ESA is mobilising not like PIP as that is done on walking. 

I suffer with both and with my ESA have sent evidence from an assessment that I can no way I can walk or mobilise a wheelchair in any form and they've used that and decided I fit the Support Group and stated in the ESA85  deterioration in function noted, also I'm on PIP On-Going both Enhanced.

You got that right they are a law in themselves and your correct in your wording as they certainly can be (ignorant and rude) all you can do is hope you won't have to do a MR then appeal? You might be surprised and be OK.

One thing I've always done in my journey with them is supply updated functional information and I've made it quite clear what I've added even information I've added before, it's a shame you diden't get it recorded as I always advise this and they are less to lie and twist what you say.

This system is  definitely set to fail all of us.
    Good luck.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi abbashaz and welcome

try the B&W WCA self assessment to get an idea of the requirements

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/med2/indexxx.php

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • abbashaz
    abbashaz Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    Hi,

I can most likely try and somehow explain the - repeatedly mobilize 50 meters within a reasonable timescale because of significant discomfort or exhaustion. 15 points. descriptor. 

"Because of your physical or mental health condition or learning disability, there would be a substantial risk to the mental or physical health of any person, including you, if you were found not to have limited capability for work. And the risk could not be reduced by a significant amount by reasonable adjustments being made in your workplace or by your taking medication to manage your condition that has been prescribed by a registered medical practitioner who is treating you."

How seriously does the DWP take this descriptor as I can use various points to show/indicate this, should my MR be based around this or the first descriptor?

Thanks.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi abbashaz,

If you think your mom satisfies one (or more) of the support group descriptors, you should focus on those and explain them as clearly as you can.
    Regulation 35 allows a claimant who hasn't met a support group descriptor to be put in the support group and that is the second part of your post. The DWP will say they consider this regulation but in my experience they very rarely apply it. However, you can often be successful at a tribunal using this regulation. You should focus on both ways as you may not get her in the support group under the descriptors but you may do so under regulation 35, and if you get her into one of the support group descriptors then you won't need to rely on regulation 35. All the best!

Thanks,
    Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    You need to show that you meet the descriptors to get the award. Do you have a copy of the assessment report ?
    The descriptors are the "bible" of points

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    edited March 2018
    Abbashaz

If you feel you can explain and you can then it's worth doing it.

As for the descriptor. The DWP 

OK I can answer this regarding regarding my situation (substantial risk to the mental or physical health of any person, including you) I'am under Consultant Pysiciatrists for various mental health issues and have been for many years, as I have tried taking my life on many occasions and still do it, it's well documented and backed up what I've done, im ashamed of it because I know my kids suffer and hate me doing it so I try to hide it now.

I'm not good with strangers at all face to face as I have ASD autistic disorder from a young age and was abused for over 2 years and went to a special learning school. So all in all pretty messed up now and I just feel safe in my own home and I feel I can express my feelings online without seeing people also as I'm physically knackered as well I feel I'm more vunarable than before and feel a waste of space and yes it's hard to deal with all this **** from the DWP but they know full well I'm done and just say to them now do what you want because I'm past caring.

Please don't give in if you are seeing Consultants and feel or your like what I've mentioned above get them to do you a letter explaining your issues you face.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.