Housing options for Autistic Toddler — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Housing options for Autistic Toddler

EugeniaParker8815 Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi All

I'm completely new to this.

Has anyone in here got recent experience with getting housed by their council. 

My son is almost three and has been diagnosed with non-verbal autism. I was in emergency accommodation for almost a year and moved out, as he became severely distressed and stopped eating/sleeping. However, now I find that my lease is up; the landlords want their property back; and being unable to get a guarantor (as I only work part time) I cannot go private again. 

It is imperative that I do not go back into emergency/temp accomodation.

Any advise?



  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Eugenia (?) @EugeniaParker8815, and welcome to the community. Glad to have you here, but sorry to read of your difficulties.
    I can't answer your question, I'm afraid, but I'm sure there will be people here who can and will respond. Bear with us, for the moment, but keep in touch.
    It is important for you to know that this is a safe place and that you are among friends here. Whatever experiences you have had or are going through, whatever your troubles are or have been, you will almost certainly find people here who have experienced something similar, who care and can empathise with you. Don't hesitate to talk to us, to ask us questions or to tell us anything about yourself. The better we get to know you and how you feel, the more easily we may find ways to help you.
    Warmest best wishes to you,
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Member Posts: 513 Pioneering

    Hi @EugeniaParker8815

    Welcome to the community.

    Sorry but as far as I am aware there is no way of guaranteeing that if you apply for social housing that you won't potentially be housed in temporary/emergency housing in the first instance. Obviously for the local authority to be able to move you straight into a permanent home they would have to have a suitable property stood empty and waiting for a tenant and these days, with such high demands for social housing, that rarely happens. However, you can increase the likelihood of being moved into appropriate housing as quickly as possible by ensuring that your case has been made the highest possible priority. To do this you will need to evidence your son's condition and ideally have a supporting letter from his doctor explaining why temporary accommodation is unsuitable for his needs.

    Speak to your local authority housing officer as soon as possible to make them aware of the situation and seek their advice. There might other ways they can assist you, such as a local deposit guarantee scheme to support you with securing another private rental.

    In the meantime don't move out of your current property until you have to, normally the date on a court issued eviction notice. 

    The housing charity Shelter may be able to give you specialist housing advice:


    Best Wishes



    Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

    You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.