Disabled Facilities Grants Scheme (DFG) Review
I’m writing this post to try to get the word out that an independent review of home adaptations and the Disabled Facilities Grants Scheme (DFG) is taking place.
The Department of Health and Social Care has appointed the University of West of England to carry out an independent review, in collaboration with Foundations, the Building Research Establishment, Ferret Information System and an experienced Occupational Therapist.
Although the DFG budget has been increased, there is always more demand than supply – a situation that is only likely to become more acute as the population ages.
The review will look at ways to make sure that home adaptation policy remains fit for purpose, and that funds are allocated as effectively as possible.
There are consultation workshops taking place in London, Leeds and Wolverhampton, during March, where professionals with an interest in home adaptations and DFG can contribute to the debate, and draw conclusions for the final report. Places are limited, so places need to be reserved as soon as possible at www.fixthedfg.co.uk
A short online consultation will follow, based on the outcome of the workshops.
These are the topics to be considered:
• How the DFG is being used currently
• How it could change – considering the means test, the £30,000 upper limit, the allocation formula and methods of delivery
• The link between home adaptations and health and social care services, including efficient hospital discharges
• Developments in aids and adaptations – the potential impact of new innovations and technology, and supporting people who don’t qualify for a DFG
• The impact of Section 36 of the Equality Act 2010 on adaptations to communal areas
A report will be produced, scheduled for the end of May, with recommendations to shape the future of DFG provision and delivery.
This information has been taken from: https://www.independentliving.co.uk/advice/independent-review-dfg/?omhide=true
PS: If you are looking for general information about how to apply for a DFG you can find it on the Scope website: https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/disabled-facilities-grant
Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT
You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist
- 53.9K All Categories
- 10.6K Start here and say hello!
- 5K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 153 Community updates
- 12.1K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 791 Work and employment
- 588 Education
- 1.2K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 290 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 265 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.6K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.5K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.6K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4.1K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 686 Chronic pain and pain management
- 704 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 759 Autism and neurodiversity
- 937 Mental health and wellbeing
- 311 Sensory impairments