Caring for my family — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Caring for my family

Options
Charly
Charly Community member Posts: 8 Listener

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Charly and welcome to the community. I'm sorry we could not get back to you sooner today. Must be a touch of weekend-itis, I'm afraid.
    We are, however, very glad to have you here, and you are in a safe place, among friends. 

Please understand that whatever experiences you have had or are going through, whatever your troubles are or have been, you will almost certainly find people here who have experienced something similar, who care and can empathise with you. Don't hesitate to talk to us, to ask us questions or to tell us anything about yourself. The better we get to know you and how you feel, the more easily we may find ways to help you.

Warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard

• Charly
    Options
    Ty Richard,
    I have fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis, I am a full time carer for my partner and now grown up daughter.

• JennysDad
    Options
    Hello @Charly, and it is good to hear from you. You are carrying a full load, aren't you.
    I believe we have many fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis sufferers within the community, and doing a quick search using the search box at the top of the page I have found fibromyalgia discussed in several forums including 'Dealing with chronic pain' https//community.scope.org.uk/categories/chronicpain, 'Talk about PIP/DLA' https//community.scope.org.uk/categories/talk-about-pip-dla (in terms of claiming those benefits), 'Invisible impairments' https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/invisible-impairments and several others.  There are advice articles linked to these which might be useful and you might also like to have a look and see if there are any conversations there that you might like to join in with. It is one way of getting to know people :)
    Perhaps you'll give it a go and let me know how you get on? And others will be along to say 'hi' too in due course.

If we can help support your daughter and your partner too, we would love to do so. Can you perhaps tell us more about their conditions? 

And if there is any specific help or advice you are looking for, please don't hesitate to tell us about it. You are among friends here.
    Warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard

• Charly
    Options
    My partner suffers with chronic/suicidal depression with curvature of bottom spine and rheumatism at the top of the spine. He has chronic pain syndrome and COPD. My daughter has hypermobility with fibromyalgia as well as anti social and anti anxiety with bi polar and split personality disorder
  • JennysDad
    Options
    Hi @Charly and thank you for getting back to me. Sorry I could not get back to you more quickly - I was 'meeting and greeting' a whole slew of new members and did not see your mail come in.
    I was not wrong about that 'full load' was I? You seem to have far more than your fair share. I am almost lost for words, impelled to wonder how on Earth you cope, whilst knowing that your response would be much the same as mine - we cope because we are left with no alternative. It still takes courage, though, and I take my hat off to you.
    Practicalities, now; do you think your partner and/or your daughter might also become members here, so that they can access the resources we have? We're a safe place here, and you and they would be among friends. And is there any specific need, advice or support that you're looking for? Such as in claiming benefits, for example, or connecting with people with similar experience?
    Please, please, please let me know. I am here (and when I'm away I'm always looking for time to get back!) and I am listening. 
    Very warmest best wishes to a very courageous lady,
    Richard
  • Charly
    Options
    At the moment they are rather shy of letting others know what's going on with them . I would like to be able just to speak here andvmaybevrant a little when things get tool much and talk to others who maybe  similar position as I am. . While getting support and understanding I may be able to help others as well.The one thing I do instist on is some me time. It could be getting a pedicure or just visiting to a friend or going out for the day
  • JennysDad
    Options
    Hi @Charly
    Read and understood :smile:
    You might like to have a look at our Parents and Carers forum here https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/carers-of-disabled-children-and-adults You should find other carers there who will be glad to get to know you.
    This is a link to the 'categories' we at present cover, which you might like to have a look through https://community.scope.org.uk/categories
    And there is always me :smile:
    The very, very best to you,
    Richard
  • Charly
    Options

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.