Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Behavioural issues and CP/autism
I have a niece who is 17 years old and has Cerebral Palsy. She hasn't been diagnosed with a learning disability but we do suspect she has autism but again this has not been diagnosed due to long waiting list for assessment. I am so worried about my sister as my niece has behavioural problems and it is mostly directed at my sister. They are getting very little support even though my sister had begged for help. My niece is lovely and everyone says what a lovely girl she is but as soon as she is home she is stressing about what is going to happen months ahead and she is very controlling over my sister. She just wants my sister there all the time, she is very jealous of her sister who ends up getting less attention than Freya does. My sister and her husband do lots of things as a family all revolving round the girls, Freya goes to lots of activities that my sister takes her to but Freya will kick and attack my sister and throw major tantrums nearly every day over so many different reasons. It is either she doesn't want to go to school in the taxi and that my sister should take her (my sister works so this is not possible), if my sister goes anywhere even to the hospital for a scan Freya says she should take Freya with her and she attacks my sister when she doesn't. Both myself and my sister talk and try and reason with Freya but although Freya says she understands and she knows she shouldn't do it she can't help herself. My sister is exhausted and I am really worried she is about to have a breakdown. She ran the crisis team and they sent someone out a week later. Freya is waiting for appointments to see a speech therapist but it is all so slow and they need help now with this behavioural problem. Does anyone have any advice. Many thanks.
- 53.1K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 149 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 760 Work and employment
- 578 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 277 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 264 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.2K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.5K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 676 Chronic pain and pain management
- 700 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 751 Autism and neurodiversity
- 929 Mental health and wellbeing
- 298 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.