Can I claim Carers Allowance whilst signed off work? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Can I claim Carers Allowance whilst signed off work?

julienanny Member Posts: 1 Listener
I claim (esa)for myself and my hubby(work related activity group) and I am currently in receipt of Carers allowance for My hubby who receives (pip) mid rate daily living rate and higher rate mobility, my query is If I was to become ill could I still claim carers allowance for him if I was signed off by the doctor(not in the work related group anymore) I’d still be caring for him. I ask this because I am having a small operation soon which will make me not eligible for work.thanks


  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @julienanny and a warm welcome to the community. It is good to have you with us.
    I'm not any kind of authority on benefits, so I can't answer your question directly, but we have a number of people here who DO know their stuff :smile: and they will be in touch with you shortly.
    Warmest best wishes to you,
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,216 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi julienanny and welcome

    To receive carers allowance you must be able to give 35 hours per week care to qualify

    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Posts: 8,847 Connected
    I’m a little confused. If you’re having surgery why would you need to come off ESA?

    In terms of claiming CA whilst you’re hospitalised/recovering there’s no issue with CA as small breaks in care are permissable of up to 4 weeks in any 26 week period.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.