Moving House And Universal Credit — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Moving House And Universal Credit

keira Member Posts: 136 Courageous
edited March 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)

My friend receives ESA, HB & PIP. He has been offered a new adapted house from a housing association. This would mean him moving from his current council flat to a different local authority area . The new area is not full service UC for another few months. What will happen to his current benefits? Will this new house be classed as a starter tenancy? He is so confused and frightened that if he moves then he will have to move onto UC and lose some of his benefits . Can anyone help please?


  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,217 Disability Gamechanger
    As of 1st jan 2018 you cannot claim UC in a live service area so benefits should remain the same.
    As always you should seek f2f advice from CAB or similar

    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hello Keira

    Given that your friend is moving into an area that is not full service then his current benefits of ESA and HB should continue. PIP is not affected by the introduction of Universal Credit. 

    Your second question about starter tenancies, is this in relation to housing rights? If so your friend may need advice from e.g. Shelter, they have an advice line for the public, see below:

    0808 800 4444 and it is open 8am-8pm weekdays and 9am -5pm at weekends. 


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • billcov1
    billcov1 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    i recently moved from our family home because my wife could no longer acess toilet bedroom or bathroom could  i suffered a stroke so my mobility is not good the thing is i have spent nearly £10k since living here my benefits have been suspended and now I'm living in shared ownership with rent and service charges and the area is live universal credit area anyone know what i can do


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.