PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Pip appeal and lateness

masseymad46masseymad46 Member Posts: 6 Listener
edited March 2018 in PIP, DLA and AA
I am close to my deadline for applying for a pip appeal hearing. Due to being ill and close family health problems, where would I stand on bring late.

Replies

• CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,258 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2018
    Hi masseymad

You can make a late appeal up to 13 months with good reason.
    To start a tribunal appeal you only need to submit SSCS1 with brief reasons for your appeal along with a copy of your MR. You do not need to make a full submission at this stage

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,314 Disability Gamechanger
    You can make a late appeal up to 12 months after the 1 month appeal period has expired. However, you no longer need to show "special reasons for late appeal". Late appeals will be automatically admitted if you can show that your appeal has merit and the DWP do not object to lateness. This means 2 things:

1) Your appeal must be precisely framed to show exactly what points you're going for and why. If your appeal looks hopeless then that's the end of the matter. You must get this bit right so I would strongly recommend face to face advice. 

2) If the case appears to have merit then the DWP are given an opportunity to object to it being admitted. This is why, even though "special reasons" are no longer legally required; HMCTS have not altered their forms and still routinely ask for an explanation of lateness. 

3) Provided the above are complied with, and no matter how poor the reasons for lateness, I have not seen DWP object to a late appeal for a number of years now. 

So, ,merits first and all else will follow. 

Sign in or join us to comment.