Long journey to get PIP award — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Long journey to get PIP award

markyboy
markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
edited March 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi just to share with you all that if you decide to appeal your pip award it can be a long journey and the DWP will delay proceedings at every opportunity.
I was awarded high mobility in 2014 till 2017 then in 2016 my award was reviewed and the mobility award was reduced to standard till 2019.
I started my appeal  in Dec 2016  and asked for a reconsideration but the DWP refused it so then in January 2017 i appealed and was put on the waiting list for a tribunal hearing of which i decided to attend it was not until September that i attended my hearing despite the court saying there was a 4 month waiting list it ended up being 9 months.
At the tribunal the judge agreed with the award and i lost my case but i appealed the decision on a point of law  that the DWP failed to explain the change of circumstances that led to the mobility award being reduced the only reason they gave was the award had been reviewed.
In December 2017 the appeal judge agreed and set aside the judgement and ordered that another hearing be heard so after 12 months i am still in the same position as i was 12 months ago waiting for a hearing date.
But my advice to everybody is if you believe your award to be wrong never give up it may take a long time to get justice and the DWP are hoping you will give up but i will take it to the very end.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi markyboy and welcome

Well done you for being persistant, I hope you win in the end

I was particularly interested in your error in law

At the tribunal the judge agreed with the award and i lost my case but i appealed the decision on a point of law  that the DWP failed to explain the change of circumstances that led to the mobility award being reduced the only reason they gave was the award had been reviewed.

Did you have help with finding this ?
    It seems so obvious I wonder how many similar errors are overlooked

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Some point this year will they review you all over again because your award runs until 2019? 
    Or is this appeal all part of it.
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Has a utt judge ordered another ftt Hearing?
  • markyboy
    I applied to appeal to the upper tribunal but the judge who looked at the case decided to order a new first tribunal again
  • markyboy
    The award that i am fighting expired in Dec 2017 i would expect another review this December unless the new tribunal extend the award
  • markyboy
    To be honest when i appealed against the tribunal decision it was based on the fact that i believed that i had received a unfair trial but it was the judge who looked at the papers and decided there was a error of law because if the DWP change a award before the term expires they must state what the change of circumstances are which led to it and they cannot just say the change was the result of a award review
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes I would be annoyed to not have a reason. They should explain the less points. 

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • Matilda
    Good luck with the new tribunal.  69% of appeals succeed.

• Matilda
    To be honest when i appealed against the tribunal decision it was based on the fact that i believed that i had received a unfair trial but it was the judge who looked at the papers and decided there was a error of law because if the DWP change a award before the term expires they must state what the change of circumstances are which led to it and they cannot just say the change was the result of a award review
    That is very useful to know, @markyboy.  So, it is an error of law if the DWP change an award before the term expires without there being a change of circumstances.  They cannot just say the change was the result of an award review.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.