Why have I been put down for a home assessment? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why have I been put down for a home assessment?

Arnold
Arnold Community member Posts: 35 Listener
edited March 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Had my letter for assessment and it is at home anyone know why and not at the centre ...went to the center the last time in my wheelchair I'm not bothered but Luke like to no why 

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @Arnold, only guessing that a request had been asked for in your application, or they think that  a home accessment will identify your abilities and mobility far better than at the accessment Center as the accessor can see how you actually manage in your home environment. This may be a ploy by DWP to down grade your accessment watching you in your home natural environment copping or not managing the descriptors. Good luck.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Arnold

Usually a home assessment is given when the AP recognises that you might have difficulty attending a centre or they had a vacant home visit slot and you were top of the pile

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Arnold
    What are the discriptors ¿??
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    hi arnold. i was also suprised when i was told i would have my assessment in my own home. although i have mobility problems i am not in a wheelchair. i they want to see how you manage everyday life. for instance i live in an old workers cottage that is nearly 300 years old and has a windy steep staircase. and i was asked how i managed going up and down the stairs. i think they get a better understanding of your disability coming to your house .
  • sdoc94
    sdoc94 Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    Good morning Arnold. Capita tend to do the majority of their assessments at home. I had mine at home roughly 10 weeks ago!

In my opinion it's better!
    Shady.
  • Arnold
    How did you get on if you don't mind me asking I had high rate dla for care and mobility
  • CockneyRebel
    Hi Arnold

Have a look at the B&W self test for the points system, descriptors and criteria for an award

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

CR

• Arnold
    I have got more than top marks on both
  • sdoc94
    sdoc94 Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    Hi,

My home assessment was fine - the assessor was a very nice woman and I was sceptical that she might be one of these horrible assessors who lies.

But by the looks of my award - she did not lie at all. She was honest about everything and I was awarded standard daily living and enhanced mobility until 2021.

Good luck 
    Shady.
  • Arnold
    I'll let you all know when I've had my assessment 
  • Arnold
    Can you get to see what the assesoashas put down about you .   I'm going to have the assessment in my bedroom because that is the only place I'm comfortable in because I can't sit up for long will that be that is were I spend most of my time will this be OK
  • CockneyRebel
    Hi Arnold

Yes you can choose to have the assessment in any room you want.

CR
  • Arnold
    Had my assessment today lady seemed fine had high rate dla lifetime on both before does anyone know roughly how long it takes to hear and can I see what the assessor wrote about me ????
  • CockneyRebel
    Hi Arnold

Glad your assessment went well. Give it a few days then ring DWP and ask for a copy of the report PA4

CR
  • Arnold
    Thanks I will do you know there no please !!
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Arnold, there should be a contact number on any letters you've had from them, which would be the best number to ring, or here are some details for DLA enquiries that I found online!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.