Hi, my name is Dee — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Dee

Options
DeeNKaspar
DeeNKaspar Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi 
I am Dee I have many health problems which includes Spina Bifida Occulta, Fibromyalgia and quite a few more.  I have been using a wheelchair for nearly 17 years now due to SBO and fibro as the pain was to much.  My pain levels are okay but this means I have to take lot of medication to do. I struggle to find medication I can take because I have so many allergies to different pain medications. Also I have lots of other allergies to food, chemicals and other stuff.

I am currently studying part time with the Open University, it is hard as I have severe dyslexia means that I don't retain the information.  I have a cat called Kaspar he is still a kitten.  I am due to move to a new home in October this year as my home was going to knocked down but the plans have changed.  As I was in phase A1 I still can move my new home will be totally wheelchair accessible which will be good as it will mean I can move around the home without tight turning circles, narrow doorways and narrow hallways.  I am involved with a few different organisations which I volunteer for. 

I am currently trying to set up Community Interest Company to run the cafe at The Hub as it would nice to see it ran as a community venture for the community as the surplus would be used to fund things like giving children a hot meal over the holiday period as the area I live in has some families that are struggling to feed their children when they arent at school.  I will have to a presentation to the panel so I must try and set up a powerpoint presentation up in the next couple of weeks.  I will try and workout the costings, prices and also redo the staffing levels for the cafe. If we were successful it could employ up to 9 people with 3 f/t and 6 p/t.  The cafe would open at 6:30am and close around 8:30pm 6 days a week and Sundays it wouldn't open until 9am and close around 7pm.

I am planning to train my next dog to be my service dog to help with tasks that I struggle with.  I am planning to get another German Shepherd as I love the breed and they are loyal and easy to train.  My last GSD went to a new home in August last year as I was told that he had disease that was killing his spinal cord but he has severe arthritis in the spine. He was diagnosed with cancer in last month which is an fast growing cancer he could have up to 18 months of good life. He is 12.
Dee N Kaspar

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello Dee, hello Kaspar, and hello to your lovely German Shepherd too, @DeeNKaspar and a warm welcome to the community. Very glad to have you.

What a wonderful, positive post and outlook to read. Kudos to you.

May I ask what you are studying with the OU? I'd quite like to but can't really afford it at the moment, besides which there are other difficulties in my case too. Anyway, I'm wondering if there is anything that facilitates learning for you, any particular style of presentation? Not the same level or problem, but I helped one young man on the ASD spectrum to get his History GCSE by turning a large wad of material into an epic poem! I am pretty good with visuals too and have studied at undergraduate level.

I love German Shepherds, but our apartment is too small and I don't think my two elderly cats, Rosie and Daisy, would much approve of such a lodger. I frequently bump into one in St James's Park, an oldish, long-haired lady called Jamie, who can sit almost nose-to-nose with a squirrel without giving way to her instincts. A beautiful creature, beautifully trained.

PowerPoint is one of my strengths, too, so if I can find a way to help you with that I'd love to try.

Again, lovely to hear from you. Don't hesitate to tell us if there is any way in which you think we might be of help to you.

Warmest best wishes,
    Richard
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @DeeNKaspar

Good Afternoon & it’s great to hear such a positive post.

My Hat Goes Off To You. 

Can you please let me know what area you live in ????

If there is anything that I can help you with on your presentation please please let me know ????

Thanks.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @DeeNKasper, and welcome to the community! Great to have you here. If we can be of any assistance, please do let us know, and best of luck with your presentation!
  • DeeNKaspar
    DeeNKaspar Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    I am doing an open degree because I hated psychology.  I have severe dyslexia, depression and chronic pain which doesn't help me to study.  I went to my local college for many years to get up my basic education as I went into a special school so left school with no qualifications and an education of 9 or 10 year old. I was bored t school because I wasn't pushed hard enough. 

I was diagnosed with dyslexia until 1996 so I was 25 at the time. My tutors on my course didn't take the report saying I was dyslexic.  I also had issues with my eyes as I have Irlen Syndrome which is part of the dyslexia.  I didn't learn to read until I was around the age of 9, I went to three schools by then and then September my 4th school as I was fostered that year.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You rock! Welcome 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.