Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Hi, what is the correct benefit to apply for personal care under pension age?
Hi, due to severe back pain and restricted mobility my sister needs personal care such as washing legs, feet, back, hair, drying hair, shopping, laundry and house cleaning needs to be done for her, someone staying overnight when she is in much pain or high anxiety about it. We have been managing this between us as a family but really become too much and we cannot be as reliable as she needs. I understand funding can be applied for but unsure how to go about it. She is 63, so not pension age for about 14 months. Currently on Easter, housing and council tax benefits but that doesn't cover basic costs of living let alone paying for care. Advice welcome please!! Thanks, Reb
- 53.1K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 149 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 762 Work and employment
- 578 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 277 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 264 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.2K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.5K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 676 Chronic pain and pain management
- 700 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 751 Autism and neurodiversity
- 929 Mental health and wellbeing
- 298 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
Do you need advice on your energy costs?
Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.