Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Brown envelope syndrome

whistleswhistles Member Posts: 1,590 Disability Gamechanger
I didn't think I was a sufferer. 

But an unexpected dwp letter has arrived and its being left until Tuesday.
Any issues I can't ring them over Easter and yes it's computer generated, but I can't help think that button gets passed to arrive on a weekend or Bank Holiday! 

It's probably a letter telling me my ESA amount is xxx. I already know this  because they wrote and told me they were taking the sdp from xx date.

It's thin anyone else got a thin one.

Oh any virtual tonics for this syndrome appreciated.
Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.

Replies

• ash5896ash5896 Member Posts: 118 Pioneering
    I received one on Monday and it was just telling me about the ESA amount. I hate those brown envelopes myself so can see where your coming from
    Ash 
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    It is probably the annual update letter

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • whistleswhistles Member Posts: 1,590 Disability Gamechanger
    It's not messing up my Easter.  :)
  • janejrjanejr Member Posts: 141 Pioneering
    I had one and the dog shredded it before I could read it. Then had to explain to them on the phone so I could get a new one. Was only an update but glad as it informed me I'm on IR ESA so I can go the dentist
    I expect is just the annual ESA. But they did inform me of that change already. 
    Left it and forgotten about it.
  • Norton2018Norton2018 Member Posts: 21 Connected
    Yeah.. I suffer from.. The Brown Envelope Syndrome...
  • sandyp196sandyp196 Member Posts: 129 Pioneering
    From what I can remember I don't think award letters are thin. They come with some explanation and a breakdown if your awarded. I too think it's an update.  I was freaked out last week as I had a letter from the es saying my rate of payment would change in October.  This coincides with the end of my pip. I haven't had a decision on the pip yet so I assumed the esa knew something I didn't. But my support worker said esa were making a calculation on the official end date of pip award and if I get a new award they will send me another letter which takes the pip into account. 
    I hope that's true anyway. I'm still suspicious though. 
    I am trying to read through the front.

It starts "We are"  :)
    edited March 2018
    We Are.... pleased to write with the good news you deserve. You will recieve high rate everything. We have paid the money into your bank today and the mobility car you need will be delivered in the morning. It was a pleasure to meet you. We wish you good health and a happy easter. From us all at the DWP, 
     but seriously I'd have to open that letter. If it's bad news you have us all here and a few days to plan your phone call.  If it's good news you can have a relieved and peaceful weekend and a good nights sleep. 
    The contents of the letter are not going to change and will be the same if you open it now or Tuesday. 
    It's terrible what this brown letter does to us mentally.  
  • sleepy1sleepy1 Member Posts: 299 Pioneering
    @sandyp196, @whistles. Very funny.

If I received a letter like that from DWP someone would probably have to call 999

• wilkowilko Member Posts: 2,284 Disability Gamechanger
    Mine was just information about the ESA increase coming into effect next month. Plus the next lottery winning numbers which I want to share with you all my new friends, they are.   # # # # # # good luck and a happy Easter 
  • WaylayWaylay Member Posts: 922 Pioneering
    I don't receive much post, so any letter freaks me out nowadays. :/
  • romatarotromatarot Member Posts: 7 Listener
    The thin one could be about a cold weather payment.
    I opened it.
    Sense of humour required. 
    It was to tell me that reduced award they had given me was going up in April. 
    It sort of bridges the void! 
  • susan48susan48 Member Posts: 2,229 Disability Gamechanger
    @whistles,
    at least you’v opened it, it’s taken a while but you’v done it  :)
  • debbiedo49debbiedo49 Member Posts: 2,906 Disability Gamechanger
    I don’t deal with any envelopes very well. It causes my anxiety to increase. A regular one is from child maintainence service almost every Saturday morning. We are sorry you won’t receive the payment. As if I don’t know this year in year out. The DWP ones freak me out even more as I get a lot of them working part time on jcp. Even though I work the same hours every week, I get a letter every fortnight after signing on telling me the amount. I suppose I shouldn’t complain as they are doing their job but it makes me anxious. Other letters make me anxious because they are bills and I have problems making sense of letters like that a lot of the time. I also worry that I can’t pay them on time. I have mostly direct debits but sometimes the dates get muddled or one slips through the cracks and I get super freaked out. I would really like a p o box so I could physically stop letters coming in. I think it’s also contributed to by my agoraphobia and avoidance issues as I see my home as my safe place and my letterbox is my enemy lol. Maybe I was a dog in a past life. 
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    I am a fibro warrior !💜♏️
    Expected letters are fine. This wasn't because I already had the break down of changes from ESA.
    But this is good, it's an extra £1.75  :) 
    I am exactly the same. I cant cope with the post as my agarophonia includes the post or he phone. (Outside in and all that). However, i did once get in loads of trouble for not opening my mail. In one week i had bailiffs turn up, real nasty ones, i got evicted and i got arrrested and taken to court for council tax arrears. How i ever survived that week i dont kmow. But with help i put a system in place to make sure that never happens again. I keep all my mail unopened during the week until sunday evening. My brother comes over and i open the whole lot in one go. Then with my brothers help we work out who needs paying and if there is anyone who needs ringing. The onky exception to the sunday night rule is dwp letters. I open them as soon as they arrive. I have learnt my lesson on that score! Its like ripping a plaster off opening the dwp letters. I couod not leave them until sunday as the stress would kill me. Plus they have a nasty habit of not giving yoj much if any notice about changes. But in general opening my letters once a week takes so much anxiety off me during the week. It works for me. Plus i will often buy a few cheap items online so there are nice things coming through my letterbox as well. debbiedo49 said:
    I don’t deal with any envelopes very well. It causes my anxiety to increase. A regular one is from child maintainence service almost every Saturday morning. We are sorry you won’t receive the payment. As if I don’t know this year in year out. The DWP ones freak me out even more as I get a lot of them working part time on jcp. Even though I work the same hours every week, I get a letter every fortnight after signing on telling me the amount. I suppose I shouldn’t complain as they are doing their job but it makes me anxious. Other letters make me anxious because they are bills and I have problems making sense of letters like that a lot of the time. I also worry that I can’t pay them on time. I have mostly direct debits but sometimes the dates get muddled or one slips through the cracks and I get super freaked out. I would really like a p o box so I could physically stop letters coming in. I think it’s also contributed to by my agoraphobia and avoidance issues as I see my home as my safe place and my letterbox is my enemy lol. Maybe I was a dog in a past life. 

• MarkinsuttonMarkinsutton Member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    I have a camera at my front door and if I get notifications to say the postman has arrived and its a brown envelope it makes it really hard to carry on working knowing that I have to go home and open it. I have been quite lucky that most of my brown envelopes have been good news but then when I get another one I am like OMG what now, the latest was losing my ESA... I wonder what it would be like us disabled people not to keep having to worry about this stuff.?
  • charlenecharlene Member Posts: 555 Pioneering
    I tend to put all envelops on a self in the porch, deal with them once a week.  A habit I got into whilst caring for my husband.  Since receiving the brown ones, I tend to pull them out and deal with them more promptly.

Recently noticed some envelopes, I had left for quiet a while.  Opened one and there was a cheque for a good amount of money, a rebate from my water company.  Will I open envelopes more quickly now , no I doubt it.
    When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
    @sandyp196 great tips thanks. Outside in, yes, well put!
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    whistles said:
    Expected letters are fine. This wasn't because I already had the break down of changes from ESA.
    Carribean holiday booked ? :)
    I wonder where they get their figures from. I don't think they could manage to live on it. 

But let's face it you are not expected to function are you so you stay in bed all day. I was yesterday so you eat less? 

I don't get it

Why is the minimum wage less than the living wage ?

Why are the benefits that we get, that we are supposed to live on, even though the government admit that being disabled carries extra costs, less than both ?

I don't engage in political c*** I don't have the energy

CR
    I don't understand this either. They must decide somehow.
    But having just lost pip care plus the premium they decided my condition isn't severe and I don't have these extra expenses. 
    Not complaining against dwp, I did the self test and scored 6. And weirdly it came at the best time to hit the heating button off and send friend out to get throws. Actually these are lovely and cosy. 
    @whistles

Its nice you can find a positive out of your situation x
    susan48 said:
    @whistles

Its nice you can find a positive out of your situation x
    I didn't feel that way to start with. But I can try and look for positives. The nice weather is on its way and it is really really warm in the thick throws with a film and chocolates. Sorted. 
    Just need that man in uniform and the step that @Victoriad will put me on.
    @whistlesI don't have a uniform or a naughty step but I do have a naughty knee you can sit on  :)

CR
    Get a room lol
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    Ha ha. Gotta love this forum.
    It makes you and everyone else smile, go red or need a lie down with the smelling salts.

A sense of humour can work wonders in your darkest hour

CR
    Absolutely !
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    And its tax free!
    SSH!!!   Don't tell the tories
    You all have made me actually laugh, thank you.

the first post I read was CockneyRebel said:
    @whistlesI don't have a uniform or a naughty step but I do have a naughty knee you can sit on  :)

CR
    Omg , so funny, thanks x
    I had a brown letter this morning.  I ripped it open as I walked back up the hallway. I had my f2f assessment on 7th March for pip so am awaiting a decision. The letter easy thin so wasn't hopeful. It was a 'we have recieved all your information to make a decision' letter.  This is the same letter they have now sent me THREE times since my assessment oN the 7th march. 
    What are these people trying to do to me. That's my day ruined as my anxiety is sky high.   
  • charlenecharlene Member Posts: 555 Pioneering
    I Know  the feeling, the wait is awful. Just wish I had the decision, In no mans land at present.
    When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
    Me too  :/charlene said:
    I Know  the feeling, the wait is awful. Just wish I had the decision, In no mans land at present.

I waited a month and then called for a copy of the assessment.
    Whilst on the phone I got told the decision had been made. 
    That was back in February. DLA swiped March off me and gave me the reduced award.
    Disgusting!
    Its meant to pay a month after the decision, the award hadn't even started when they did that!!
    I still haven't had a decision from my assesment 5 weeks ago. Iv gone from not wanting a brown letter to now really needing it.  Can I ask someone to ring the dwp for me? I cannot phone those people. No way. But I'm at a point now where I need information and to request the assessors report. Will they accept someone else ringing on my behalf? 
    Hi sandyp

You will have to be present for the security questions and give permissionfor the other person to speak on your behalf

CR
    Hi sandyp

You will have to be present for the security questions and give permissionfor the other person to speak on your behalf

CR
    Thank you ☺
    I need an envelope system! Urgent, non urgent, keep and bin please! Anyone?
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    @debbiedo49,
    my system is, check the back for senders details, or anything stamped on the envelope.
    if it’s important open it, if possible or wait til someone can do it for me.
    The junk mail, straight in the bin, I don’t get a lot of mail so can go days without anything.

sorry I can’t help further
  • thespicemanthespiceman Member Posts: 6,408 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello every body I think we all have this brown envelope syndrome.

Annoys me credit card companies sent me information.  Wanting me to be introduced to flexible friend.

All in brown envelopes.  I do have news to share well it is exciting actually.  Really exciting.  I have been selected in my area to be the sole entrant in the Readers Digest draw.

I know amazing absolutely dumb struck.  You do not understand ladies and gentlemen.  I have been nominated if I return the numbers.

You are looking at a person going to round two.

Cannot wait .lol !!!

Method for sorting mail just answer it.  Simple.  I know I have anxiety and get stressed about what comes through the post.  Got to answer it.

Not only that.  You need to .  All junk mail there is a preference service to stop it.

Also had a friend who had piles of letters, bills and correspondence just sitting there.  I understand the anxiety and all that.  Depression.  Got himself into a state about anything and make himself ill.  Having missed so much and not trying to answer or reply to mail. but get a shredder like me.  All the junk mail or non urgent stuff into the shredder.  Totally relaxing shredding stuff.

Hope that helps any body.

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
    edited April 2018
    When you are just having a **** day with pain and the brown envelope comes through the door aarrgghh! This is a new one! Personal Interview for jsa letter from DWP Belfast . Honestly I hate them f**kers! Why Belfast? I live in Glasgow ! It just adds that extra horror factor. It says non compliance can lead to loss of jsa. You must provide proof of job seeking. What is this all about? I sign on fortnightly I get interviews so why the brown envelope from Belfast? Now I’m terrified they are up to no good. Aarrgghh! Ever want to just be put down like a wounded animal? It would be less cruel. 
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    Better today. 
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    @debbiedo49
    i do hope your letter was just sent from Belfast S you stay in Glasgow, I love Glasgow 
    I joined the mailing preference service. Anyone writing to me personally can be reported for this.

I don't expect any letters bar the from the bank.
    I noticed that junk mail was starting to arrive in brown envelopes so you open it!!!
    @susan48 yes letter was from Belfast that’s what’s thrown me 
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    edited April 2018
    CockneyRebel said:
    whistles said:
    Carribean holiday booked ? :)
    I won't see the increase until next month for the PIP. 
    My first payment received was for last month. 
    No wonder it's a month in arrears, they can get away with this then.
    Pain in the.......
    @susan48 yes letter was from Belfast that’s what’s thrown me 
    They do come from there don't they, depending on what department.
    I’m not sure if in doubt I’d call them
    It turned out to be nothing just a mix up with my appt time. I told them thanks for scaring me senseless lol
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    Good grief my new delivery man is  a dish!
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    edited May 2018
    Good grief my new delivery man is  a dish!
    Where are you? I might need to invite myself over for coffee, will bring the sugar!
    Scale of 1 to 10. 
    Fifty shades of never or fifty shades of NOW.  ;)
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    Worth traveling for then  :).
    Lol think I will keep him for myself 
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    I need to get browsing.  :)
Sign in or join us to comment.