Mobility, Moving around. — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Mobility, Moving around.

TomTom77 Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello everyone, I have a question I hope you can help me with, I am my mums full time carer, she has a fused leg and cannot stand I have to lift her up onto her feet, so on the question of moving around she scored 10 points for “you can stand and then move using an aid or appliance more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres” is this correct considering she can’t stanf by herself and I have to lift her up to stand, or should I tell them otherwise, thanks for all your help. 


  • lindadenise
    lindadenise Member Posts: 302 Pioneering
    No it is not right do a Mandatory Reconsideration.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,748 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Member Posts: 2,610 Disability Gamechanger

    Assessors frequently 'underestimate' the extent of claimants' mobility, and daily living disability, which is why 69% of appeals succeed.  As @lindadenise says, the first stage of appeal is mandatory reconsideration (MR).  

    There is a Mandatory Reconsideration letter tool which will generate a letter for you. 

  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,216 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi TomTom and welcome

    Yes the descriptors are

    12 d. Can stand and then move using an aid or appliance more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 10 points
    12 e. Can stand and then move more than 1 metre but no more than 20 metres, either aided or unaided. 12 points

    So the question is how far can your mother walk having got to her feet with your aid ?

    If she can move more than 20 metres then this is correct
    Both d and e cover the use of aids ie. you. even if you don't have one there are aids available the could help your mother to get up  so the distance covered is the critical question

    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • TomTom77
    TomTom77 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks so much everyone for all your help. 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.