Son with ME not awarded PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Son with ME not awarded PIP

lessel Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited April 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have had disability for 15 years, caused through a damaged vertebra. I have two sons who also have disability, one through psoriatic arthritis, one through ME, so I have a fair bit of experience of disability in the family.

Both my sons were receiving DLA, but we're told to apply for Personal Independence Payments because their DLA was ending. The son with arthritis was awarded PIP by a tribunal, but the son with ME was not, so now he has not even got a personal income as he cannot work. I am told there is no further appeal for him, but they are leaving him destitute. Is there anything else we can do to help him in this situation?


  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @lessel and a warm welcome to the community. Glad you have found us.
    You need to consult with one of our benefits specialists on this one, but they will be in touch with you as soon as they possibly can be.
    Bear with us, for the time being, and we will get back to you asap.
    Warmest best wishes to you,
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,216 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi lessel and welcome

    You need to get trained advice from CAB or similar

    You can ask for a staement of reason and the record of proceedings. You can appeal to the UTT if an error inlaw can be found, hence you need trained advice.

    As he has no award in payment you can submit a new claim as there is no waiting time

    Have a look at the B&W self test to see where he can score points

    Please come back with any questions


    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.