Finding friends to meet. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Finding friends to meet.

cripps
cripps Community member Posts: 412 Pioneering
hello my fellow disabled family, as you may have discovered I’m new to scope and the forum so please bare with me. I would just like to know if there are any places in my area ( Cheshire) that do social meetings for disabled people like myself, for awhile now I’ve been stuck in my flat unable to go anywhere because i don’t know anybody and being disabled i find many people treat me differently, so if you know places please help. 

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @cripps and welcome to the community.

So we can help you better it might help if you can let us know your nearest town or city, and if you have mobility issues. 

In the meantime if you live in Cheshire East you might find this group of interest:
    1nclu5ive Sandbach http://sda.btck.co.uk

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
  • cripps
    cripps Community member Posts: 412 Pioneering
    Thank you for getting back to me, i will check the sandbach area out and see what there is on offer. I live in Winsford (Cheshire) but do have a car so traveling is not an issue it’s more important for me to find new friends that i feel comfortable with and treat me on equal terms. 
  • Geoark
    Hi @cripps Sorry I need to get to bed and not usually available during the week. There are a lot of charities and organisations in Northwich, but glancing through it is not clear what services they provide, or if they would be suitable for you.

You can glance through to see if any attract your attention. http://northwich-winsford.yourwestcheshire.co.uk/pages/3169/1/Community_groups.html 

One of the likely organisations which might be able to help or signpost you to something more suitable is the Cheshire Disability Federation. A website link is not available though they have a phone number.

If I get a chance during the week I will see if I can find anything more positive.

• Geoark
    Hi @cripps

Here are some more links:
    https://www.ableize.com/disabled-groups-and-clubs-by-county/cheshire/ Lists social groups and activities in Cheshire

Something  you might find of interest, or not, is Oddfellows https://www.oddfellows.co.uk/about/ it is a friendly society with an annual subscription. I would suggest looking around the site and use the contact page if it is something  you might find of interest.

I noticed that you posted about being lonely and I am sorry to hear that. What I would recommend is not focussing all your energy with just one group. The more you are able to do the more friends you will make, but also things can go wrong and if something does not work out you are not back to where you are now. It also gives you more to look forward to.

If you want more links please let me know and I will see what I can find.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.