I have been refused PIP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have been refused PIP

pongo62
pongo62 Community member Posts: 3 Connected
edited April 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Please I would like some advice about p.i.p as I have been refused and I have had multiple issues for many years thanks in advance.....

Comments

• Lasian_Alumni
    Lasian_Alumni Community member Posts: 659 Pioneering
    Hi @pongo62, welcome to the community!

Have you recently been told about the PIP decision, and have you applied for a mandatory reconsideration yet?
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello pongo62

As Lasian posted the first step in challenging a PIP decision is to request a Mandatory reconsideration. This request must be lodged within 1 month of the date of the decision letter refusing PIP. You can make a late request and if this is the case please post again. It is best to make the request in writing putting down why you disagree with the decision.

I have put a link below to the Citizens Advice page on PIP challenges:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/appeals/mandatory-reconsideration/ 

The above page also gives a link to the points system.  As you are probably aware you need to score at least 8 points to get either PIP- daily living or mobility. When challenging the refusal decision it is worth thinking about which points descriptor you satisfy and why.  

If you can it is worth obtaining medical support which is relevant and supportive to the PIP descriptors and sending this to PIP.  If you attended a medical assessment you can also request a copy of this medical report. 

Do not however delay your Mandatory reconsideration request to obtain the above evidence. You can always send in evidence after your request. 

Please post again, if you need further help.

Maria
    The Benefits Training Co:

• kami24
    kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
    Just sent my mandatory reconsideration even though i had been claiming p.i.p for 2 years as i unfortunately have ongoing borderline personality disorder so don't understand it all and just wrote as much as i could. I have read it's worth appealing and attending tribunal if neccessary.good luck

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.