Hi, my name is aformoy! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is aformoy!

aformoy
aformoy Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I suffered an acquired brain injury when I was 28, that was many years ago, I have suffered with depression, epilepsy, fatigue, memory problems to name but a few. I have been unable to work full time since my accident. 
I have, however, completed a teaching degree and was teaching students with learning and behavioural difficulties. I then moved away and so left my job.
I did apply for PIP, was granted the higher rate then reassessed and was told I didn’t qualify for anything, basically I said I had problems with certain things and the assessor decided I didn’t.  Made me feel very depressed and worthless. I was applying for at least 3 jobs a week, anything from a museum curator to a cleaner, didn’t even get an interview. Struggled financially, didn’t qualify for any benefits. 
Have now found a job, at last, as a Social and Therapeutic Horticulture Practitioner. Going into Care homes and running gardening clubs for the residents, I don’t do many hours but it’s amazing how ones self esteem suddenly blossoms once again. It’s still difficult financially but I don’t worry quite as much.
My disability has changed my life, but I hope it has made me a better person, getting the right medication for depression has been a major breakthrough and feeling I’m doing my bit for the community has improved my mood.  I hated applying for benefits and the demeaning way it made me feel, as I’m sure so many disabled people experience. I could rant and rave about our benefit system, but I won’t. So that’s my story in a nutshell.

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @aformoy and a warm welcome to the community. Very glad to have you with us. You deserve congratulations for so many things and it is a great pleasure to 'meet' you.
    As someone who went through most of Maggie Thatcher's years unemployed and refusing to sign on because I couldn't hack the ritual humiliation, I know what you mean about benefits. It seems just to get worse over time.
    Anyway, your 'story in a nutshell' is an interesting and encouraging read. Thank you for posting it. And if there is anything you think we might be able to do to assist you, please don't hesitate to let us know.
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @aformoy, and welcome to the community! Thanks for sharing this with us. You may be particularly interested in our finances and extra costs discussions.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.