PIP high court ruling information — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

PIP high court ruling information

JDB01 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited April 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi is mental distress the same as physiological distress for high court pip ruling 


  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @JDB01 and a warm welcome to you.
    I honestly don't know the answer to your question and it is most likely to be answered by one of our specialist advisors. If you can bear with us, somebody will get back to you on this as soon as possible.
    Warmest best wishes to you,
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Posts: 8,838 Connected
    The short answer is “yes”. 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    edited April 2018
    @JDB01 I agree with Mike, psychological distress is mental distress in this context. Anxiety, stress, panic attacks, post traumatic stress - many people with different sorts of conditions may benefit from the interpretation of the law which we now have.

    Whilst the DWP have said they are looking at decisions which may need to be changed because of this interpretation, if you are not sure whether they are aware of your distress when planning/following a journey, it's important to let them know, and there is nothing to stop you asking for your PIP award to be reconsidered.

    Do bear in mind though that if you do this, you could be reassessed, which you may wish to avoid. Alternatively, if you haven't claimed before but now think you would be entitled because of the ruling, then don't hesitate as PIP can't be backdated.
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.