Independent living — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Independent living

Hello, I wonder if anyone can offer some advice?

I'm 29, have Fibromyalgia and live with my parents who both work full time.

I have ESA at Support group level but turned down for PIP.

My parents do most things for me (cook, clean and help wash my hair) I can bathe ok (with a handrail to get in and out) but as we only have a bath, I was hoping the housing association could help with a shower. 

The occupational therapist recommended a shower head over our existing bath so I could sit under it. I don't want to lose the bath as it helps with muscle pain.

The housing association have refused but the OT suggested the facilities grant. However, this I assume is based on household income which means we wouldn't qualify. My parents are near retirement and are concerned about doing this privately if we have to move in a couple of years.

I can't seem to find any other help available. As I live with my parents, it's assumed I don't need help but I can't live independently. I'm a burden to them and it's embarrassing. For example, I need someone to help wash my hair, do my laundry and change my bedding. I have to make sure I'm home when they eat dinner (as they do me a portion) so I make sure I have a meal.

What else is there to help me?



Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.