Pasta dishes — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pasta dishes

charlene
charlene Community member Posts: 555 Pioneering
hoping Spiceman and others can help me with very simple low cal pasta dishes. Did do O level cookery but must be the world!s worst cook.  Please help me before I fade away. Lol not really like others I was described by assessor as well nourished. 
When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

Comments

• Pia_Scope
    Pia_Scope Scope Posts: 41 Pioneering
    Hi@Charlene

I got a lovely recipe for you that I hope you will enjoy :-)

You will need.
    • 4 portions of Pasta (the best pasta for this is the "bow" or "butterfly" shaped ones)
    • 1 package of King prawns
    • 4 Sun ripe tomatoes (cut in half before slicing them)
    • Rocket salad
    • 2 cloves of garlic
    • Chilli flakes
    • Salt & pepper
    1. Boil the pasta
    2. When the pasta is almost done you heat up some oil in a frying pan. When hot enough you add 2 cloves of finely chopped garlic together with 1/5 of a teaspoon of chilli flakes.
    3. Stir the chilli flakes and garlic in the oil and add one package of king prawns.
    4. Drain the pasta and add this and the sun ripe tomatoes to the prawn mix once they have started to brown slightly.
    5. Stir the mix for a couple of minutes and then add 1/4 of a standard size bag of washed rocket salad.
    6. Add some salt and black pepper.
    7. Stir until rocket salad and tomatoes are soft. 
    8. Serve and enjoy!

Kind Regards
    Pia

Pia
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Charlene Sorry missed this.  Apologise want recipes nice and easy.

Have seen my posts in Coffee Lounge.?

I will start with the very basics a good cheats simple easy tomato pasta sauce.

Blender or food processor

Add in Passata this in cartons or jars.
    Add Onions sliced or buy pre cut
    Add Tomato Puree a squirt
    Add Tomato Ketchup has a sugar in it and spices.  Just a tiny squirt.
    Add from a jar garlic already done for you.1 teaspoon or adjust
    Herbs Basil Fresh or Parsley .Few leaves of each one.
    Which one you wish to use
    or Dried Oregano half teaspoon

Blitz up.

To a pan olive oil with any shapes.  Whole wheat Pasta.  Fusilli, Penne, Farfalle ideas.  I buy whole wheat.

All supermarkets sell Chilli's, Garlic in jars already done for you.

Fresh herbs chop up left overs Olive oil ice cube trays.  Freeze.  When frozen out of ice cubes trays in to zip bags labelled.

Understand this pasta sauce now can add chilli's.  Can add Red Wine Vinegar a dash a twang.  Touch Balsamic Vinegar another natural sweetener.

Options add below other ingredients.
    Red Pepper sauce.  Add red peppers from a jar that are roasted. To Passata.  Two or three.  Also Sundried Tomatoes add them.  Options touch Red Pesto and Anchovies.  To Passata.

This sauce can be versatile.  Make sauce as blender when warming through add tin cherry tomatoes for a cherry tomato sauce.

You can add any vegetables. My favourites combinations.  This Pasta Sauce

Zucchinis Mushrooms.  Small squashes and known as Courgettes.  Sliced mushrooms 

Pea and Mushroom.  Frozen Peas and Mushrooms any

Primera vera Any frozen veg like Peas, Broad beans Green Beans.

Peppers any sliced not green., Orange, red, yellow. sliced up colourful on the plate

Aubergines sliced and diced.

Greens, Kale Calvo Nero a Italian Cabbage like Kale.

Mushrooms buy any sorts.  Also supermarket sell Anti Pasti Jars.  These are used in cooking for appetisers and for toppings Bread.  I buy them in oil.  Have got Aubergines, Peppers, Zucchinis.  All roasted in the oven.  Done for you.  Saves dicing slicing.  Quick meal.

Do not have to add cheese.  Use goats cheese or cottage cheese low fat options.  If wanting cheese.

Make it your own.  Used Olives and Capers other night for a twang with some Fennel sliced up. Add in Prawns.  Following night had it with Tuna, Olives and Capers drained.

Capers are a bud from a bush.  Used to flavour food.  Gives it a sort of vinegar flavour.  Especially with seafood like Prawns or Tuna.  I use Tuna Tinned worth buying ones in Olive oil if you can get it.  Also will do will be ones in Water.  Not brine.

Most Italians have tinned tuna either in Olive oil or in jars.

Anything you want to ask me.  Please do.  I include my friend @Victoriad who has an excellent knowledge of Italian food as well.

Forgot Pasta boiling water kettle bring to boil.  A handful salt .  Handful pasta let it bolente, boiling then reduce heat to the instructions on packet.  Hopefully should be eight minutes.   Take a piece out with slotted spoon I allow that.  Bite should be al dente soft to the bite.  Drain into a colander sink with mug underneath.

Then add to pasta dish and warm through.  Test check ok.  Too thick sauce add water from mug.

Another tip if pan too heavy.  Use a colander bowl underneath.  Use slotted spoon to remove pasta.

Remove to dish then.

Buono Appetito

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Murphye
    Murphye Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited May 2018
    Post removed by moderator
  • fishingmum
    fishingmum Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    edited May 2018
    @charlene Hi, I am happy to put recipes up for you, but to make it more relevant, what kind of things do you like, e.g. creamy sauces, tomato based sauces, spicy, meat, seafood etc Do you already have a couple of favourite kinds of pastas you would like recipes similar to. Do you have any allergies, or genuine dislikes of certain foods?  let me know and I will post a few up for you :)

There is a recipe thread in the coffee lounge as well that might give you other ideas than just pasta based dishes.  https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/44114/recipe-ideas#latest

life is too short to let others make you miserable.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.