Help with vet costs for an aid dog? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help with vet costs for an aid dog?

Cleopatra10
Cleopatra10 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello am getting an aid dog soon and am wondering if I can get any help with vet costs and stuff

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Cleopatra10 and welcome to the community. Sorry I could not get back to you sooner.
    Well, this is a new one on me :smile: However, I've managed to find some references to 'assistance dogs' and I'm going to tag a few names in here who may hopefully be drawn to your post: @secondbee, @Ehit, @Tasha95 in case the're able to advise.
    Help with something like vet costs might depend on what your 'official' economic situation is, in which case one of our benefits advisors might be able to help. Can you tell me if you're claiming anything at the moment?
    Hope we will get some advice sorted out for you, so do stay in touch,
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard 
  • Ehit
    Ehit Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
    Hi @Cleopatra10
    I think it depends on how you get your dog. My is a self funded dog, so I do have to pay for the dog, training, vet bills (I have insurance), for food, etc, but if you were given it through a charity, e.g. Guide Dogs for the Blind, the charity will usually pay for them.

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you, @Ehit
    Richard
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Have a look at what the PDSA has to offer

https://www.pdsa.org.uk/
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Tasha95
    Tasha95 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hi @Cleopatra10 I have a guide dog. As far as costs go with guide dogs they pay for veterinary costs such as boosters and any other treatments. Also if you can't afford the food they pay for that too. You ring the number you are given and give your  details and it will be delivered to you. Best wishes with your dog. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.